Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A quick ?????

Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Spike

Default A quick ?????

Hey I was wondering if it mattered where you gut your deer.... Point being that 2 weeks ago Iarrowed myfirst deer w/ a bow and gutted him about 60 yards from my stand,since then I havent seen any deer around my stand.. I always had a few come by,mostly does and fawns. Nothing has really changed where I hunt either the corn feilds are still up and the leaves are gone thats about it.....

Just wondering......
Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A quick ?????

Some say that deer will walk right past a gut pile with no reservations, I differ with that because I feel guts just attract other predators. I like to leave my core area as virgin as possible. I gut my deer elsewhere. That's just me.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM

I agree with Rob. . .I've got 4 stands up this year and ifI score a doe from one that i feel could produce a big buck, I'll get her outta the area before guttin' her. . .if for no other reason than the predator factor.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

No it doesn't bother a deer to see/smell a gut pile unless you stink the area up gutting the deer. I don't even buy the predator theroybut then the worst thing here is a coyote. I trap and deerare the biggest pain for unsetting traps at my dirtholes of bait, lure and unrine. Must be something in the coyote piss. Doesn't matter if I hadcaught a coyote in the set and it is a remake.

Thislast doe I shot... it was too early to call it quits for hunting that morning. Imade sure she was dead and drug her within twenty yards of my ambush spot where the deer were moving through. Figured she would make a good decoy plus coyotes are pretty thick where I was hunting. Always have an arrow for one of them. Within 10 minutes I had a buck (too small) spend quite some time smelling her before getting bored and walked by mewell under 10 yards.Too bad as he would have been very dead if hewould havebeen bigger with all the shot oppertunitieshe was giving me checking out the dead doe. At no time was he alarmed at all. Just curious.

Tim
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Bowtech Tribute, coolest little bow ever!!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

doesnt make a bit of difference. if i shoot a deer in the morning and hunt the same stand in the afternoon, i see deer everytime.

NOTE: this is during gun season usually in a big field, but they always come from the same spot the deer i shot came from. hell one time i shot a deer went down and gutted it, went back up in the stand and shot another one 30 min later.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to always drag my deer away from my stand. Last year was the first time I didn't and I saw no ill effects.

6years ago I shot a 8 pointer bowhunting, and my dad came to help me gut it and drag it out. I asked him if he wanted to take it out into a field since he was going to be hunting the stand the next week. He said no and to just do it there. It was not 50-60 yards from the stand.

He went back 2 afternoons later and killed his biggest buck with a bow that came right past the gut pile.

I still plan on getting mine out of the area if at all possible.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:39 AM

I am withRob on this one. Dragged my deer approx. 500 yards away from my primary area before gutting. There are some nice bucks running that area and I am trying to put my son on deer.

Dave
Old 11-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Be more worried about leaving human scent in the area than deer guts. If you can do your gutting without contaminating the areawith your scent, you'll be ok - just mho.

-fsh