Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help Quick... >

Need Help Quick...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help Quick...

Old 04-06-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Need Help Quick...

I have an archery qualification test/3-D course in a couple of weeks to be allegable to hunt on a wildlife refuge. I have to have an 80% out of 130% to pass. The farthest target is 33 yards and the closest is 20. Right now Im shooting a Hoyt Razortec with a whisker biscuit, and eastman epic carbon arrows. In the test heart shots are 10, lungs are 8, and a hit is 5 points. I have no problem hitting a lung size target up to 30 yards, but I cant consistently hit the heart. I would like to know if a fall away rest would improve my pattern, but I only have two weeks and dont know if that is enough time for a new rest. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks...
Old 04-06-2004, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Need Help Quick...

If it were me, I would not go changing your gear on short notice. This will only complicate things. The WB is quite capable of doing what you need it to. My suggestion would be to practice, practice, practice. Good Luck!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:17 PM

I'd spend the next 4 days shooting 100 arrows at a crack from 60 yards.

Focus, Focus, Focus.

4 days - 400 arrows - all at 60 yards, still trying to hit the heart.

Then move up to 30 & see if it doesn't feel like a 2' putt.

All summer long I shoot an outdoor league & practce at ranges consistantly over 60 yards - it makes the 40 easy, and the 20 a cinch.

All of this being said - I've only ever taken ONE animal past 22 yards...

Good luck & remember - focus & concentrate!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Get rid of your wisker biscuit and go simple. Play with it if you want later.

I can't use a drop away on my bow. The wisker biscuit was nice to hold the arrow in place no matter what but I never could get the darn thing adjusted to dead balls on. I changed it out and went to a 3d rover and it is now shooting dead balls on. I gave my biscuit away for free to someone on this site.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:44 PM

I agree with huntmup, once you get used to the long shots the short ones feel like you're right on top of your target. I also agree that you don't need to change equipment on such short notice. However, I wouldn't recommend a helical or offset fletch through a whisker biscuit, they tend to spray the shots a little.

Just my (most humble) opinion.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I am understanding this corectly there are 13 targets with a maximum of ten points each for 130 points? If this is the case I wouldn't sweat it one bit. Even if you only scored lung hits and no heart hits on every shot that is still 104 points. Any how, the double lunger is a more effective hit than a heart shot.

I too wouldn't go changing any of my set up right now. Use what you are going to hunt with and not a bunch of stuff that you're going to change. Also take huntmup's advice and practice at longer distances than the 33 yards that you have to test.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:59 PM

I too would change nothing . . . and while practice would be helpful remember the old cliche . . . Only Perfect Practice makes Perfect. The moral is that you need to practice a lot but stop when you're tired lest you practice bad habits. [:@]

I did once and it took weeks to correct the problem.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Dominant Buck

You decide wether your shot is on. I could never get my shot consistent with the biscuit but I have had no problem with the traditional rest ten mins after changing. I will never try it again. There are a lot of people here who swear by it and I changed on recommendation. It didn't work for me and I don't hear you mentioning anything else in your set up that is any different then most bows and arrows.

I do whole hardily support practice but it won't change if the rest dosen't allow for consistentcy.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:01 AM

FM , I get sick of your continous WB posts !! [:'(] Maybe you couldn't tune it.......doesn't mean the rest of us can't !! I can average 4-5" groups at 65 yrds all day long with a WB on a 31.5" ATA bow with a 3" stabilizer !

HoytRazortec , Keep what you got.......I just shot a 3D course just fine with a WB !!And I agree ......as long as your hitting lungs ......you should be good !

Are you having trouble missing the heart/10 shots ....with high and low shots or are they right and left shots ? Or are they all over ?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

CBM SC I guess you swear by it. I stated if you read my post that some people do. Obviously your one! There are others that don't and found that consistency wasn't there as I did. I also remember a great qoute from another poster "Shooting an arrow through a broom?".

I will keep up my negative comments on the wisker biscuit thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Need Help Quick...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.