Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why did this deer expire so fast? >

Why did this deer expire so fast?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why did this deer expire so fast?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 AM

Default RE: Why did this deer expire so fast?

Sounds like a fairly routine kill to me. The deer dropped because of the shoulder wound. It was unable to regain it's feet because of the blood pressure loss. I've never been fortunate or skilled enough to drop and kill one on the spot like that, however I've "spined" a few. It's frustrating when you put another arrow in them and there's no reaction whatsoever. Once or twice I've gotten excited and emtied my quiver on a spined deer. Times you look back on and laugh.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter
Just out of curiosity, what type of broadheads were you using?
3 blade Muzzy's, the exit wound was ridiculously gaping at about the size of a cue ball.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Who knows. Ive had them die on the spot with out a wiggle. Ive also had them run over 100 yards with both lungs gone andtheheart sliced through. I think it has to do with how they feel before the shot. If they are comfortable, they tend to take a few steps and die. If they are tense, they will bolt.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think bigj71 is right on it think about how long you could run while your holding your breath not long at all

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

Actually a deer will live about30 seconds after a clean double lung or a heart shot. When the heart is hit it will stop beating, the deer will/can only run as long as the oxygen in his blood will support consciousness.

This willrun out in about 15-30 seconds or less depending on how much oxygen was in the system at the time of the hit or if the deer had just been sleeping, running, feeding,etc...

Same with a double lung, without oxygen a running deer only has seconds before it's supply is exhausted causing it to black out then die.

The thing some folks don't realize is that a deer can cover hundreds of yards in 15-30 seconds!