Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help me!, How Fast do deer forget? >

Help me!, How Fast do deer forget?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me!, How Fast do deer forget?

Old 09-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me!, How Fast do deer forget?

Heres my hunt last night:

It was quite an eventful evening... Though the wind hurt me!

Play-by-Play:
3:15 PM - I watch 4 does circle down wind of the food plot (hence down wind of me) The wind stayed in my favor as they milled around in the thicket for about 20 min, then one gust sent their way and one busted me and blew... I thought my night was over.

5:00 - I stand up to put another shirt and 3 bucks trot in real fast. A basket rack six and small 8pt (about the size of Western MD's buck) and a little button buck. The stayed till dark... But the 4 does came back, along w/ 3 more does. Then another little six and a 4pt....

630ish - The little bucks are trying to show off in front of the does and start fighting pretty good (it started as just some light sparring, but they got heads down and in the dirt pushing), they are getting all FIRED up... Then from behind me I hear a soft grunt and deer comes charging in! I think, its him! and slowly turn, but its not him, but a decent 8pt (probably about 110") Hes just out to his ears and fairly tall... A beautiful 2.5yr old. Anyway by this time I have about 12-15 deer all over me (literally under my tree & just out in the food plot)... The decent 8 showed them all who was boss and started feeding... maybe in a year he'd get my arrow...

Anyway, it gets dark, and probably 1/2 hour after shooting light I NEED to sit down, (been standing for 3 hrs) I slide down slowly and one deer busts me, then they all scatter, except for a few does... But by this time i need to get home my phone was buzzing w/ text msgs from my wife all worried cause I hadnt responded...

So I blow the last two off when I start my decent. I'm really worried I didnt ruin the area!!

What do you think? Is the food plot ruined for a few days? Or should I head back there tonight?

At worst I might try another patch of oaks, on the way to the food plot...
Old 09-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me!, How Fast do deer forget?

I wouldn't worry to much. i had one blow on me the other day. and when i went out this morning i had 6 come back in within 2 hours. and 2 of them was the ones that blew on us. a doe with her fawn.