Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why did this deer expire so fast? >

Why did this deer expire so fast?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why did this deer expire so fast?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why did this deer expire so fast?

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

Just to be a pain, but not all heart shots will cause the heart to stop beating.

Deer shot through the heart/lungs and big arteries usually go down so quickly because they have a massive drop in blood pressure. This is why deer shot through the femoral artery, dorsal aorta and renal arteriescan go down as fast as double lunged deer. Lack of blood flow/oxygen to the brain is what kills the deer. Lack of blood pressure is what causes deer to black out within seconds.

This is your physiology lesson for the day. [&:]
Lol Christine! Good stuff!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its not the spine that paralizes a deer, its the spinal cord underneath the spine. Just litteraly touching the spinal cord will paralize a deer!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Just a little tip for the future, you can tell right away just from the face whether it is a yearling or not so you can let them grow. Yearlings have shorter faces than does and are smaller.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

Just to be a pain, but not all heart shots will cause the heart to stop beating.

Deer shot through the heart/lungs and big arteries usually go down so quickly because they have a massive drop in blood pressure. This is why deer shot through the femoral artery, dorsal aorta and renal arteriescan go down as fast as double lunged deer. Lack of blood flow/oxygen to the brain is what kills the deer. Lack of blood pressure is what causes deer to black out within seconds.

This is your physiology lesson for the day. [&:]
BigJ71 Wrote:
Actually a deer will live about30 seconds after a clean double lung or a heart shot. When the heart is hit it will stop beating, the deer will/can only run as long as the oxygen in his blood will support consciousness.
I thought I was clear about the "clean shot"

But you arecorrect Christine and I suspect that's what happened in this case, the heart was nicked and only onelung punctured, thus the long time (relatively speaking) to expire.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter
Now, the reason why this surprises me is because deer have been known to run a hundred yards on a one lung plus heart shot. Do you guys thinkthis one didn't run at all maybe because it was still a baby and just didn't have that physical toughness yet?
I dont think anyone has really addressed the actual question here, instead debating how long it normal takes for the deer to 'expire'. Looks to me like the OP was more concerned about why he dropped the deer (meaning normally they take off running)....

I dont have any answers for you, but I have dropped a deer in the same manor. Actually it was my first, a small doe (yearling maybe, or fawn, not really sure). Dropped it where I shot it pretty much, and like yours it did some unpleasant kicking and such. Not sure if it was 2 minutes, it did seem like a long time. But 30 seconds equates to about 5 minutes in situations like that.... I to did attempt a second shot, which was a good hit, but didnt seem to help. I think my dad slapped me for wasting a second arrow with a deer that was on the ground. [:@]
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

There is no way I could have sat there watching it for 2 minutes, I would have had a second arrow in it seconds after the first one.

My heart shot buck expired in a mere 10 seconds at most, went 50 yards max. 2 minutes is a LONG time. I'm surprised you didn't shoot it again.
I've had heart/lung shot deer run 30-40 yards and fall over dead. I know that a deer can run a 40 faster than any NFL player ( even BigJ71 ), so that's about 4 seconds. However, when I tell people how fastit died I usually say 10 seconds also.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

I shot a 90-95 ish pound button thinking it was a doe on Sunday afternoon. The arrow hit one lung and sliced the heart then paralyzed its right front leg. It dropped right there, kicking twitching and thrashing for about 2 minutes then expired.

Now, the reason why this surprises me is because deer have been known to run a hundred yards on a one lung plus heart shot. Do you guys thinkthis one didn't run at all maybe because it was still a baby and just didn't have that physical toughness yet?
Just out of curiosity, what type of broadheads were you using?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

There is no way I could have sat there watching it for 2 minutes, I would have had a second arrow in it seconds after the first one.

My heart shot buck expired in a mere 10 seconds at most, went 50 yards max. 2 minutes is a LONG time. I'm surprised you didn't shoot it again.
I used to say this, but have found sometimes not a smart move. If I see on motionless, I let em be. I have seen people arrow again, just to have it disturbed, jump up and run and run. Where if one would have left it alone, it would have probably relaxed and died.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

could have hit a bone or nerves
Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

I have double lunged deer that will live for only 10 sec after the shot broadheads are more lethal than a shotgun

Quick Reply: Why did this deer expire so fast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.