HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Why did this deer expire so fast? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/216081-why-did-deer-expire-so-fast.html)

Hoytail Hunter 11-05-2007 03:38 PM

Why did this deer expire so fast?

I shot a 90-95 ish pound button thinking it was a doe on Sunday afternoon. The arrow hit one lung and sliced the heart then paralyzed its right front leg. It dropped right there, kicking twitching and thrashing for about 2 minutes then expired.

Now, the reason why this surprises me is because deer have been known to run a hundred yards on a one lung plus heart shot. Do you guys thinkthis one didn't run at all maybe because it was still a baby and just didn't have that physical toughness yet?

Deleted User 11-05-2007 03:43 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

BigJ71 11-05-2007 04:22 PM

RE: Why did this deer expire so fast?

Actually a deer will live about30 seconds after a clean double lung or a heart shot. When the heart is hit it will stop beating, the deer will/can only run as long as the oxygen in his blood will support consciousness.

This willrun out in about 15-30 seconds or less depending on how much oxygen was in the system at the time of the hit or if the deer had just been sleeping, running, feeding,etc...

Same with a double lung, without oxygen a running deer only has seconds before it's supply is exhausted causing it to black out then die.

The thing some folks don't realize is that a deer can cover hundreds of yards in 15-30 seconds!

HNI_Christine 11-05-2007 04:25 PM

2 minutes is actually pretty slow.Deer shot through the heart shoulddie within seconds.

Was it a sharp angled shot? (just curious if you nicked the spine)

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-05-2007 04:30 PM

There is no way I could have sat there watching it for 2 minutes, I would have had a second arrow in it seconds after the first one.

My heart shot buck expired in a mere 10 seconds at most, went 50 yards max. 2 minutes is a LONG time. I'm surprised you didn't shoot it again.

Hoytail Hunter 11-05-2007 04:40 PM

Oh I did, but it didn't seem to help speed the process along any. He was moving around so much that my second arrow missed and split a sapling then the third and final arrow I had hit him in the neck.

HNI_Christine 11-05-2007 04:44 PM

Just to be a pain, but not all heart shots will cause the heart to stop beating. ;)

Deer shot through the heart/lungs and big arteries usually go down so quickly because they have a massive drop in blood pressure. This is why deer shot through the femoral artery, dorsal aorta and renal arteriescan go down as fast as double lunged deer. Lack of blood flow/oxygen to the brain is what kills the deer. Lack of blood pressure is what causes deer to black out within seconds.

This is your physiology lesson for the day. [&:]

kb777 11-05-2007 06:13 PM

the way it sounds is that the rut is on in NY yahoooo

huntingson 11-05-2007 06:23 PM

It has been my experience that a good chest shot will normally put a deer down within 10-15 seconds. In fact, I would venture that 15 seconds even is a pretty long time for a normal chest shot.

Hoytail Hunter 11-05-2007 08:02 PM

Makes sense now that you guys and gals put it into perspective. The arrow did not pass through the center of the heart. It put a big slice down the length of the side of it along with one lung taken out.Gee and to think I thought 2min was short. Those 2min though coveredto the point when the deer was motionless and not twitching or spasming anymore.

Oh Christine you were right about the steep angle suspicion. I was 15 feet up a tree that was 15 feet up from the bottom of a valley created by 2 adjoining ridge formations. The button came through the center of the 2 ridges. I didn't nick the spine though.