Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Meat still good? >

Meat still good?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Meat still good?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Meat still good?

I shot a doe yesterday at about 7:00pm. Because it was last light and I didn't see the arrow, I went back this morning to find her. Despite no blood trail, I found her at around 10 this morning, less than 75 yds from the shot. It was a strong quartering away shot, so the arrow went in just in front of the hind quarter, and stuck in the opposite front shoulder. I field dressed her immediately and skinned and quartered when I got home. The meat has a different smell to it, I can't really describe it. The temp over night was in the low 30s. I have the backstraps soaking in water now. I checked with a local butcher, he thought the meat should be ok. What do you guys think, could the meat have spoiled overnight? I've never shot one through the guts like this so I'm really not sure what to think.

Forgot to mention, she had an old wound on her front shoulder from something. That shoulder was swollen and did not look good at all so I tossed it in the garbage.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Meat still good?

The temps were in the 30's. I think it should be fine.

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

I would not take a chance with it, the temp was plenty cold enough but still had a funky smell, it's probably that other wound. We shot a deer two years ago that had an old wound that was not visible from the outside but there was a swollen pocket of puss on the inside back leg - nasty stuff.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

I know the smell you are talking about.I shot a Doe like that just about everything the same.I hosed her out good,seemed to cut the smell,I let her drain dry.Cut her up and ate her,couldn't tell her from any other.

Now I did have a Deer last year I lost a Ham off of.But there was no question on the smell of it.

big rockpile