Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Good Or Bad meat?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Good Or Bad meat?

I was talking to a guy at work the other day but the convo was interupted so i didn't get a chance to get a answer about this. He used to hunt, or at least he claims anyway, but he said if a hog doesn't go down right away or it squeals when getting hit with a bullet, then the meat is probably bad. Can anyone verify this?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Spike

Default RE: Good Or Bad meat?

sounds like he is pulliing the wool over your eyes. i hunt them w/ bow and they squealed when i stuck them, i've also tracked for 3 hours or more and they still tasted good to me.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, in that case just about any hog you get with dogs would be bad. I think this guy didn't know what he was talking about, or maybe he just didn't have time to finish whatever point he was making.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like baloney to me!Only thing I've heard about the meat is tips for caring for it,hogs are walking dumpsters so getting them bled and cooled is best.Kill them,bleed them and get the hide of soon as possible and should help...hang them by the hind quarters so fluids drain away from the mass of meat.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:30 PM

he has never been hog hunting or never killed one. we hunt with dogs and i have not had a bad one yet
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

My experience in general with any kind of meat, the less stress the animal was in when it died, the better it tastes. Not sure why, though. Maybe because when the animal gets excited, the blood rushes to the muscles to deliver oxygen?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: North Texan

My experience in general with any kind of meat, the less stress the animal was in when it died, the better it tastes. Not sure why, though. Maybe because when the animal gets excited, the blood rushes to the muscles to deliver oxygen?
I've heard this many times, but I haven't found one yet and we ran dogs for over 45yrs!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

The main thing is how the meat was handled. We always ice ours down for about 5 days and drain away the blood.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was talking to the guy again yesterday and now he said he hasn't hunt before so I'm trying to avoid him...wierdo [&:]
Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 PM

the adrenaline running through a wounded animal will increase its toughness of meat. that is why you try to bring it down with one fast killing shot.

Quick Reply: Good Or Bad meat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.