Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 summit stand failure(pics added page 2) >

summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

Old 12-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Default RE: summit stand failure

Just a thought, but do remember that aluminum does stress crack over time due to metal fatigue, and the amount it flexes during normal use may have alot to do with it. Ever looked at a 10 year old aluminum car trailer? Kind of scary. Not saying this is what happened, but it could have contributed. Just a characteristic of the metal itself, and something to keep in mind.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

I saw a guys Viper fold in half. He was climbing a telephone pole and the top part folded. I believe it says in the warnings not to climb them for some reason. Maybe they are too slick? Maybe the wood is too dense to bite with the teeth so the weight is carried on the cross bars and not transferred to the teeth portion. My pennies worth anyway.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:57 PM

LOVE my Goliath...........one of the reasons I bought the Goliath though was I wanted to be WELL below the weight max (350 goliath). I hover around 190 and with max gear on probably 225 during gun season. I always wear a harness and honestly have ZERO fear in my Summit..........and I don't like heights.

I have been up skinny trees and monsters, smooth bark, frozen, wet, straight, crooked, windy, and every height up to 30 feet...........even been in a telephone pole. If I have any problem with my stand it is that I have so much faith in it that it clouds my judgement and I feel like I can climb anywhere with it.........I readily admit to MANY stunts while climbing that you would never see Tom Miranda do in your instruction video (does he still do the video??).

I also have nothing but 100% praise for their customer service.

I'm sure I would feel VERY differently if I had a stand crumple under me like you did though. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you are OK.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

I owned a summit once and i always felt unsafe in onenow this year i bought a lone wolf sit and climb andf i am extremely serious when i say i have never felt safer in a treestand. The platform is a little smaller but it's the quietest, lightest and most solid climber I have ever owned.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Talondale

What I don't understand is why you would leave a climbing stand in the same tree for the whole season. Isn't a climber designed for mobile use? If I was going to hunt the same tree over and over I'd want climbing sticks and a hang-on. Faster to get up and if I drop something I don't have to work the climber back down or go fishing for it. Why pay $200 for a light portable stand and then treat it like a $30 hangon? Just asking. Totally unrelated to the topic but it struck me as odd.
well, it is kinda wierd i guess. but i HATE lock on stands, and i feel VERY safe and secure in my summits... also, i know i could remove steps or ladder sections, but people in this area have about 0 respect for other peoples stands, so when i lock my climbers to the bottom of the tree it deters them from using my stands.

i'd love to have a ladder stand , but clowns would use it while i was in another spot. that would just annoy me.

thanks,
moose
Old 12-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ps, talondale: i do have a few different trees in the general vicinity, but like i said they are the same ones i've been using for years. one particular area i hunt i might have 2 or 3 trees in like a 50 yard radius that i use as conditions warrant. sorry for the confusion!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

WOW, I use the same stand and weigh around 270.....might have to rethink my tactics. A couple more donuts and I might be stuck in a ground blind for life