Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NO MANS LAND

Old 10-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NO MANS LAND

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I may have very well hit above the spine... like i said there was minimal blood and fat on the arrow. No mans land may not exist I don't know, but i didn't think about the backstraps as up higher than the spine.
The spine actually runs lower through the deers body than what alot of people think. There is more room than what most people suspect between the top of the back and the spine.
FWIW, this deer was actually spined:

Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bobco,

Did you peel the fat off that thing already? The deer that I shoot have a 1/2 layer of fat that covers the backstraps. All downthe ribs, and TONS on the hindquarters.

The only ones that have little to no fat are bucks after the rut.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Bobco,

Did you peel the fat off that thing already? The deer that I shoot have a 1/2 layer of fat that covers the backstraps. All downthe ribs, and TONS on the hindquarters.

The only ones that have little to no fat are bucks after the rut.
Nope.

I would agree that the seasons to have a lot to do with fat deposits on deer along with gender,health, age, food sources availableand location.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Alot of the fat natually pulls off with the hide as well depending.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you were shooting out of a tree at what angle was the deer? If you were high but at a good angle you hit lung! Its hard to shoot down on a deer and go threw no mans land!! It would have had to been a flat shot pretty much to pass straight threw this area!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Its hard to shoot down on a deer and go threw no mans land!!
I know thats why I thought it was wierd that when I saw the deer running directly away from me it was strange that from that angle(15 ft up @20yds) the arrow sticking out of both sides of the deer was paralell to the ground. I didn't see how that could happen unless it ricocheted off a bone or something.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 AM

New to this site, it's good to see some excellent posts here. The only so called "no mans land" is suppose to be an area just under the spine and just above the lungs. Having shot several deer in this region peronaly has resulted in a quik kill,with aheavy blood trail. I think you would be hard pressed to drive an arrow through that region and not severe at leat one lung. Perhaps a single blade broad head could pass through on the horizontal, perhaps. I think you shot above the spine also. Best of luck.... DFA