Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Dreaded Void, No Mans Land...???? >

The Dreaded Void, No Mans Land...????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Dreaded Void, No Mans Land...????

Old 09-02-2004, 02:41 PM

Default The Dreaded Void, No Mans Land...????

I saw a post earlier about the void on a deer. It got me wondering what the concensus is on whether or not a void hit is fatal.

For those that don't know, the "void" is the area that supposedly lies between the top of lungs and the spinal column of a deer.

I realize we have had this conversation for the last 3-4 seasons, with some pretty heated debates. I can't remember how void non-believers felt about the fatality of the shot.

I've shot a few through the void that were never recovered. I always believed in the void, until I was shown the light on this website.

So, fatal or not? The shot itself, no infections, etc.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:48 PM

Default RE: The Dreaded Void, No Mans Land...????

oh, boy, here we go...

having no experience myself with the dreaded "void," "dead spot," whatever you want to call it, i can't say either way.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:50 PM

I don't know if this is the "average" case, but a buddy of mine shot a big ten last fall through the "no-man's land". He went to great lengths to find the deer over the next three days. He even hired a tandem para-sail pilot to take him over the area. There were a bunch of other people at the rental place that were interested in the situation, and they all tagged along. There was about 6 or 7 of them buzzing over the giant field where he lost the blood trail. All the effort was to no avail. Three weeks later he walked through that same field and basically followed his nose to the decayed remains of his 140" 10 pointer.

So at least in this case the shot was fatal, but not lethal enough to lead to recovery. I commended him for his effort in the search. Too bad it went to waste. [&o]

Edit: By the way, it was a clean pass-through with fixed blade heads.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:51 PM

Great question (I like the new sig by the way)

I've seen the anatomy pics of deer before and witnessed the heated discussions you talk about. IMO the void is more than likely a 1 lung hit and an animal with a strog will to live. I don't see how it's possible to shoot under the spine and not catch at least 1 lung.(It dosen't take a huge hole to deflate a lung either)

Maybe we can write into myth busters and see if we can get a scientific answer.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call me crazy but I do believe there is a void and I believe many of the deer shot in the "void" will live.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

There is NO void between the bottom of the spine and the top of the lungs.

In fact on a totally broadside shot the lungs are actually a bit higher than the bottom of the spine. (due to the upward curve of the ribs)

Many people do not realize how far down the spine really in the chest of a deer. I believe most people who think they hit a 'void' are really shooting OVER the spine. There is nothing vital over the spine, just meat and the spinous processes.

You know those hunting videos where the bucks are walking around with the little bald spots on their backs? That's the result of an over-the-spine shot.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:03 PM

Nothing is impossible, but I find it hard to believe you can hit a deer in the top of the chest and have it live. I would agree that it may be a one lung hit and the animal is not recovered. But it is a dead deer.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I knew a guy that survived a one lung hit with a .357 (dead center) so I certainly wouldn't say it was impossible for a deer to do the same. JMO
Old 09-02-2004, 03:07 PM

Well I knew a guy that survived a one lung hit with a .357
If anything I think a deer has a stronger will to live then humans do.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:11 PM

Was he living in the woods trying to find food and water with the coyotes chasing him. Or did he go to the hospital and get it taken care of?

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Void, No Mans Land...????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.