Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting with back tension >

shooting with back tension

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting with back tension

Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default shooting with back tension

I don't shoot with back tension and I know it is the best way to shoot a bow at targets,I'm not trying to start a fight just curious.My question is this,for you guys who do shoot with back tension ,how do you take a shot at a deer when you need to make the shot now?,not when the release goes off.Do you just pull the trigger?and if you do,do you practice shooting this way,and if you don't why?It just seems that this style of shooting may not be the best style in hunting situations,just my thoughts am I wrong?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shooting with back tension

In a hunting scenerio it is very difficult to shoot using backtension unless you have a very calm deer.

I attempt it and at times use back tension but it ends with me usually triggering the release. I don't however use the tip of my finger.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

ROB I guess I'm just wondering why you would practice using back tension if it is not ideal in a hunting situation.It jusy seems you would practice the way you are going to hunt.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont shoot pure back tension, but feel my release is better than pulling the trigger. i dont think about pulling the trigger...i wrap my finger around it with the 2nd section of my finger on the trigger...settle my pin and the bow goes off...its like magic i dont think about it AT ALL. but it goes off..i think i use SOME back tension..but i dont think its pure. i shot pure back tension( think...) and found myself thinking about it MORE than i liked...when i think about pulling the trigger i get SUPER jumpy and start punching. i noticed once i started wrapping my finger AROUND the trigger i no longer punched.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM

i would never use back tension in a hunting scenario ... i use back tension for 3d shoots and the range but never will i attempt to use it for hunting. the correct back tension technique can be used on any release. squeeze your shoulder blades together and dont punch your trigger, it will scare the hell out of you just like a true back tension. some hunting situations require you to draw way before the deer is where you need him and the slightest torque can set the backtension off. and what if the deer stops behind a tree? just IMO
Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot the Carter Insatiable 3 back tension. I took my deer last year with it. I find that I shoot better, and if I have to make the shot a little faster, then I just add a little more pressure with my fingers and it will go off. If I have tohold, I just put less pressure of trigger. It just forces you to make a better shot. I found that using a trigger release, I was more likely to "punch it". Also I can clip it to my string and don't have to worry about the clicking sound spooking a deer.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with NY bowhunter 100%

I hunt with a stan 3 finger BT release, there is no trigger to push, the release must be rolled to go off. I have been shooting this release for about 15 years. For me this is a great target and hunting release. I do practice speeding my shot up, I try to get my shot under 4 seconds if needed. But most of the time that is not needed.

I would like to say that this style of shooting is not for everyoneit takes years of shooting and 1000s of shots to master, it also takes year round shooting to fine tune your style not just a few weeks in the back yard.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

I don't shoot with back tension and I know it is the best way to shoot a bow at targets,I'm not trying to start a fight just curious.My question is this,for you guys who do shoot with back tension ,how do you take a shot at a deer when you need to make the shot now?,not when the release goes off.Do you just pull the trigger?and if you do,do you practice shooting this way,and if you don't why?It just seems that this style of shooting may not be the best style in hunting situations,just my thoughts am I wrong?
The ideal scenario is to learn a back tension release, and practice with it all year 'round. You'll learn how to shoot a bow and execute a shot properly and if you're patient with it, you'll reap the benefits in time. Accuracy and shot confidence will skyrocket with a couple years of consistent shooting.

What I do is shoot the back tension all year round, thena month or so before my hunting season, I get out my trigger release and start shooting with it. Shooting a trigger release is cake after learning a back tension. I've been doing it like that for 12 years or so, and it works perfectly. In the woods, I do what I have to do make the shot. If I have to punch the trigger, I punch it. If I have time for a good squeeze shot, I do that. No 2 situations are alike, but one thing is consistent -I'm confident I can makethe shot because of how I practice.