Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Heres a question for our experts??? >

Heres a question for our experts???

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Heres a question for our experts???

Old 03-31-2004, 09:54 PM
Spike

Default Heres a question for our experts???

Ok heres one for all you experts....

Heres the situation, i got a flock of turkeys within a 100 yards, lots of cover for me and i can get a clear shot if they come anywhere straight on. Only problem is i got a samll river between me and them, maybe 20 to 30 feet wide. Will a gobbler fly across the river for a hen, or should i throw a jake or another gobbler at him??? This is a real world situation folks and im at a loss as to wheat to do? The turks have set up camp on some private ground across the creek, but i have public access on the other so let me have it yall!!!????
Old 03-31-2004, 10:34 PM

Default RE: Heres a question for our experts???

[:@]
So close and yet so far away!
I had a tom come along way, fly over a ravine and a creek for me but that was late in the season. Also have a video with a tom pasing a river then flying over to get his hen( so he thought!)
Anything is poss. but he has hens already right? So I sugest you get agressive! and do some fighting calls, then if he comes to the river back off( play hard to get) Good luck!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

GB , is right . You have really got a nightmare that every turkey hunter could be in. This may take you a few days to hunt. Aggression maybe the only link to getting the birds to cross the creek. They may fly across before a roost time , if their interests have been taken. There are so many angles that could happen here.

With the easyest, just going and asking permission to hunt the other side.
Decoys maybe wirth a try ,in an opening close by the creek for the toms to see.

Working the birds right at first light , if they roost close by the creek and pitch out of the roost and glide across in the air. Wish I could be more help, but I'm road blocked on this one aswell....BT
Old 04-01-2004, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

...Make a 500 yard,circle if you can try to get in on the same side with the turkeys
if you have legal rights,dont be afraid to back off,and move quick..
Old 04-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Spike

If I were you I’d try to get permission from the landowner. If not, I’d go look for another bird. I would check on him everyday but wouldn’t spend a lot of time there. Maybe later in the season when the hens are on the nest you’ll have a better chance to bring him across the river.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:52 AM

If the turkeys can get to the creek bank on the otherside, I would set up decoys on the bank on your side of the creek and setup. If the birds see the decoys from their side of the creek, I bet they will fly across! Hey what the heck you have got nothing to lose but eveything to gain. I actually saw a video were a guy did this. Big Tom flew right cross the small river and He blasted him as soon as he landed.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Spike

All good advice guys thanx i think ill spend some time this weekend workin him a little and scout early in the morn and see what i can see. Our season in CO doesnt start till the 10th so i have a little time yet. Thanx agin yall!!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

How deep is the river, is it walkable? If so set up close enough to get a shot and go get your bird! By the way take you pole and do some fishing, lol
Old 04-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get some waders
Old 04-10-2004, 08:43 AM

Jake breading a hen decoy........with plenty of movement so the old man can see. Might work?

Quick Reply: Heres a question for our experts???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.