Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rut/Mating Question for the Experts >

Rut/Mating Question for the Experts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rut/Mating Question for the Experts

Old 06-29-2004, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rut/Mating Question for the Experts

Last Rut, I was fortunate enough to be in the right spot at the right time to watch THE Dominant Buck with a doe all day long (was my favorite 8 hours of the entire year!) I watched him fight off severals rival bucks at a time (all of them great shooters!) and saw the 2 mating several times.
THE Buck was a huge 14 pointer and was kicking the crap out of 6 to 10 points all day long.

The area I was hunting is flat wide open corn/bean fields with a drainage ditch running through - very few small shrub trees lining the ditch completely torn up from rubs. I watched the action from about 1/4 mile away and couldn't figure out how to get in better position being so wide open.

THE Buck had picked a spot in the field that was high enough elevated so that he could see everything around him for about 2 miles ( I know because I sat there after season to get his perspective.)

Seems to me a dominant buck may pick that spot for mating again next year and if so I could have myself positioned there with ample time this rut. Does anybody have comments or experience with how/where the dominant buck chooses a mating place.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rut/Mating Question for the Experts

THE Buck had picked a spot in the field that was high enough elevated so that he could see everything around him for about 2 miles ( I know because I sat there after season to get his perspective.)
Coincidence in my opinion. I don't believe a whitetail can see all that far and their vision focus' on movement moreso than anything else.

Seems to me a dominant buck may pick that spot for mating again next year and if so I could have myself positioned there with ample time this rut. Does anybody have comments or experience with how/where the dominant buck chooses a mating place.
All I'll say is that any buck, dominant or not, WILL NOT choose the mating scene! The bucks follows the doe around for a day or so just as she's coming in and then he mates here when she is ready.....usually in a bedding area or other very thick cover.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also agree that bucks don't choose mating sites. They do try to run does out of thick stuff into the open and keep them in open areas so they are able to follow while they are chasing. However, he will breed her whereever she happens to be when she stands for him. It may be 3 properties over next year. As a matter of fact it more than likely will be. He may breed another doe or two on the place that you are hunting but he will more than likely breed several others on adjoining properties.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with the ther folks , this just happened by chance, she was in heat, in the field, he knew it and got to the best position to see danger. If your going to hunt it try a natural blind, get in their now and move some branches or whatever. goodluck
Old 06-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

The chances of that buck makin' love in that same spot again next year is a million to one. The doe dictates where and when the lovin' happens...whether it be deep in the woods or on the inter-state. But you are a lucky man to have seen what you saw...that is a rare occurence.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chances are he will not be in the same "defind area" However if the buck made it through the season with out being killed or completly spooked from the area, and that the group of doe`s are in the same area or some where close. There is a chance that he may show up again. But just remember the buck chasses the doe! it all depends on where she is when she comes into estrus? she may hang around an area she fills safe which in return will keep him around for period of time. A lot of times i noticed that a mature buck really does not have much on his mind but one thing! he really does not care where he ends up as long as he gets what he came for! the chassing part of the rut can go on for days before the breeding really starts so from what i have seen in my past years of hunting the rut it really has to do more about knowing where the does are! this may or my not help you but for what it`s worth, I would be back in there some where come this fall? GOOD LUCK
Old 06-29-2004, 11:17 AM

You may not find that same buck there but it sounds like a decent spot to hunt, especially if there is a lot of hunting pressure. Big bucks can hide in ditches like that right in the middle of a field and never be seen. If something comes across the field they have plenty of time to get out of there.

I wouldn't count on rutting activity there but would definitely consider hunting it.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:52 PM

If you really MUST hunt that spot, i would do it pre rut, late october when those bucks are fired up but with no does to chase. try some rattling maybe. I would find where hte does are feeding and where they bed and hunt these areas. the bucks will go to the does. try some estrous scents. hope this works for ya. good luck.

slayer
Old 07-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would find where hte does are feeding and where they bed and hunt these areas. the bucks will go to the does. try some estrous scents. hope this works for ya. good luck.
Did I mention this is in between bean and corn fields in the middle of nowhere?
The area I was hunting is flat wide open corn/bean fields with a drainage ditch running through - very few small shrub trees lining the ditch completely torn up from rubs.
It is one giant feeding area with beds at both ends and down the ditch in the high grass. Thats why I hunt there.

Ya I guess I forgot the part about the doe being ready, don't know what I was thinking. Anyhow, there's tons of does along this ditch. The bucks chase them up and down the ditch all day long - Man its great to live in Illinois!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Last Rut, I was fortunate enough to be in the right spot at the right time to watch THE Dominant Buck with a doe all day long
WRONG.... you were unfortunate enough to ALMOST be in the right spot at the right time. AS it turns out you were within sight of the right spot at the right time but you never got there. I guess I'd say you were in the wrong spot at the wrong time and he got away. YOU FAILED. Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck .... I do it all the time.