Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Free - Tru Carbon >

Scent Free - Tru Carbon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Free - Tru Carbon

Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Scent Free - Tru Carbon

I have seen many posts recently regarding minimizing scent. Tru Carbon has hit the market and this product intrigues me. In my opinion it has more merit than buying expensive scent lok clothes that may or may not work after a few uses. The idea behind it seems so simple yet effective. Mix with water. Dip your clothes, hang dry, bottle the rest to use as a scent killer.

My questions are as follows:

1. What is your take on using carbon as a powder? ie Tru Carbon

2. With a little research on the net I have discovered that powdered carbon/charcoal has been used for years with many uses. You can buy carbon/charcoal powder cheap from various suppliers. My question is : Wouldn't it be just as effective to buy from another source?

Here are a few examples I found:

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/home

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TQ48D0/...linkCod e=asn

Old 09-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scent Free - Tru Carbon

Hey Brian, welcome back.

When it comes to carbon, you just opened a can of worms. I know you haven't been here all year but man these guys are all of a sudden adament Pros or Cons when it comes to carbon doing what it's suppose to do. Very opinionated on both sides of the coin. Hold onto your hat, grab some popcorn, it could be interesting reading.

Good seeing you post again, here, have some of mine. And how about a cold one?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:10 PM

Rob,

Thanks for the welcome back. With scouting, stands hung, equipment ready, I thought I would check back in. I really didn't mean to get anything started between the pro and con scent lok crowd, and I hope it doesn't go that route. I just wanted everyones thoughts on the activated carbon/charcoal powder idea. I feel there is no doubt carbon/charcoal will adsorb odor. Heck, carbon will adsorb almost anything.

Uses for carbon range from aquarium filtration, water filtration, poison antidote, pet odors, and drug overdoses. All of these uses require carbon to adsorb. I think the big question with carbon is reactivation. Which is where carbon/charcoal powders come into play. There is no need for the reactivation. So with that being said, thoughts anyone on the powders?

P.S. After re-reading this post I may need some of that popcorn and a cold one.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Fork Horn

bacteria is what causes odor for the most part so if it can absorb that then maybe it works but the carbon clothes idea is far and away the biggest joke played on hunters yet. just throw it into your 1200degree dryer to reactivate, haha.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

The hunting industry typically takes a common product, adapts it to the market and sells it. I'd say yes the non-hunting product will work just like the hunting product except it might come in a camo bottle and definetly will cost more. Ya know, one of the resons hunting relted things cost more is because of a federal tax on hunting related items. Something people may want to point out to people who do not hunt but enjoy the great outdoors, free of charge.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use charcoal from the pet shop (aquarium). You can sprinkle this in your storage containers to adsorb odors.
I'm not even going to go on about my views on scent lok. I'm tired of typing.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

I use charcoal from the pet shop (aquarium). You can sprinkle this in your storage containers to adsorb odors.
That's sound like a good idea.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

When I was in collage and renting a slum, first thing I'd do when I moved in was put a bag of charcoal (type for the grill) in the stink'n fridge. It would clean up the smell just fine.

I don't have any science behind me, but I toss in a dozen briquets into my plastic tote with my hunting clothes. I've tried baking the charcoal in the oven on high for an hour or so to "activate" it, Seems to work - but I have no real evidence that it does. Has anyone conducted any tests on charcoal briquets?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

I have put the aquarium charcoal in a clean scent free sock then into my hunting clothes totes for several years! It works great, absorbs any scent that might get in there!!