Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is it with Mathews??? >

What is it with Mathews???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is it with Mathews???

Old 09-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Site Bouncer

Default What is it with Mathews???

I go to a lot of different Pro Shops in my area, as many as I can get to. Well there is one (won't be mentioned) but I've been thereseveral times over the years, enough for the owner to know me, not my name so much but he remembers my face.

I've talked bow stuff and tech stuff with him on several occasions and most of the time he will ask me what I'm shooting. Over the years I've owned many different bows from Brownings to Bear toDiamond/Bow Techand now a Mathews Switchback LD.

This shop is a PSE retailer, and recently (I think)picked up Hoyt as an account. I'm not sure if he has ever sold Mathewsbut he hasa fewon the racks, used and new (I think) and an old "Mathews SoloCam" neon in the window.

Well to get to the point,every time in the past when he would ask me what I shoot I'd tell him and the conversation would continue like normal. This time he and I were talking about arrows. Some of you know I've been thinking about getting stiffer spined arrows and I was discussing this with him. Wellagain he asked what bow I was shooting and I said a Mathews.... he looks at me and says...."oh" (like that's my problem right there) with this condescending look on his face!! WTF!!![:@]

Never the slightest hiccup from the guy over all these years shooting many different brand bows including bows he sells and ones he doesn't, I mention Mathews and I'm a leper![:'(]

Why the disdain for Mathews? I can't figure this out for the life of me. Sinceowning one it's like people either like them or hate them AND you for owning one!

I know one thing...he won't see my face in there for quite some time.

Rant over.....can anyone shed light on this?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Default RE: What is it with Mathews???

Catch us if you can, !!!!!! Maybe Mathews turned him down as a retailer
Old 09-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow

Either he has plenty of work and doesn't want/need your business or he is just a complete A-hole
Old 09-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha, no sure why some people are like that, they are all good bows and if there wasa problem with them i dont think they would sell very many!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: RHanbaum

Catch us if you can, !!!!!! Maybe Mathews turned him down as a retailer
I don't know, like I said he has a few Mathews on the racks and the old neon sign, maybe it's his new affiliation with Hoyt? If that's the case why single out Mathews??
Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd tell you but you shoot a Mathews. [8D]
Old 09-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly I see more brand trashing by dealers over Mathews than any other brand. This is coming from someone that works in a Mathews shop........

Mathews really protects their dealer base better than any other manufacturer I've seen without question. The dealers that can't get in with them really have a difficult time competing.......it's a great bow with a TON of marketing behind it. The Mathews line is the cash cow in the industry and love them or hate them..............if your a dealer the Mathews line can make or break your business. I think this is why you see the negativity from non mathews shops.

I'm betting your guy had it but lost the line at some point over something..........they don't let you screw around at all. If he got caught selling out of his territory or online or just wasn't moving the product he probably lost the line and is bitter. Mathews won't put up with this stuff like other manufacturers will.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The guys that dog Mathews are just real small in that special place. Kind of makes them feel big there for a second when they write the slam. That Switchback is a hunters bow. Super smooth draw and quiet. When your at the top of the food chain everyone wants to bring you down.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

yeah catch us if you can! haha maybe hes just jealous because you have a better bow then he does
Old 09-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rick James

.......it's a great bow with a TON of marketing behind it. The Mathews line is the cash cow in the industry and love them or hate them..............if your a dealer the Mathews line can make or break your business.
I dont shoot a Mathews personally, my GF does. I think its a good bow. But you pay for that TON of marketing and its a cash cow because of the Higher mark up. For those of you that want to shoot a Mathews more power too you, and while your pro shop guy may be thinking exacty what Rick thinks he is thinking my only problem with them is you can get just a nice of bow at least for a lot less, and that really ticks some folks off to be bent over the counter....but if its the only bow you can find that feels like it fits you, then pay the man, otherwise stick it to the man is what i say.

Quick Reply: What is it with Mathews???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.