Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Selfish Thread to End All Selfish Threads >

The Selfish Thread to End All Selfish Threads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Selfish Thread to End All Selfish Threads

Old 08-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Selfish Thread to End All Selfish Threads

Lets see... what else has peeves done...

1. One summer afternoon, I brought my cousin up there to hunt, and this guy is diggin up stumps with heavy equipment. Nothing wrong with that... right? Wrong. He had been dumping the stumps about 200 yards away from my deerstand... not that he was doing it knowing I was coming up there that day; I kindly asked him to stop and to not go anywhere near where we were hunting. "Alright, no problem." were his exact words... 30 minutes later when I'm walking to my stand, I hear and see him riding around in the field I am hunting. I was so angry! He disappeared into one of the trails that goes further into the woods before I could stop him. It just so happens that he rides over to my cousins stand on the power line. My cousin said, "Didn't Chris tell you not to come anywhere we were hunting?" Peeves says "Yeah, but I'm just riding around. No harm in that. If anything it'll make the deer curious and they'll come and see what all the ruckus is." My cousin told him to leave... so instead of taking the other way back to his house, he cuts through my field and just waves at me while I'm hunting in my stand. How ignorant and disrespectful can one be?

2.He asked me if I am GAY [][:@]

3.He littered around our hunting camper and me and my buddies got blamed for it.

4. He was dumping trash on our property: christmas lights, furniture, scrap metal, old 2x4s, toys, etc... We told him to stop and he deliberatly disobeyed our wishes and began doing it again anyway.

5.He began to describe in detail his relationship with his wife to me... his wife just so happens to be my cousin.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Oh yeah Windtalker, we still talk. We're still blood and nothing will change that. I haven't hunted with him for a couple years with my wife being sick and all. He doesn't bow hunt and only gun hunts. I rarely gun hunt except for social things, like hunting with him once a year or so. Now that I've moved to NY I'll get in a couple hunts with him, but I'm still not hanging stands in his woods. LOL I'll buy pass the opening weekend with him like I did last year to go salmon fishing with one of my other brothers. The treestand use deal did put a hampering on my hunting time with him no doubt. I'd spend lots of time there if I thought I could at least have a couple gun free stands. The place is 2500 acres of private ground that only 3 people had permission to hunt, my brother, his son and me. These other two yahoos he took in their were not suppose to be there. He lost the place two years ago because of, believe it or not, homeland security, but now has it back. Had to do with some coyote carcasses, bottled water and gov't contracts. Don't ask, it's too involved.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

if u said yes, would he never come back?? lol.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets see... what else has peeves done...

1. One summer afternoon, I brought my cousin up there to hunt, and this guy is diggin up stumps with heavy equipment. Nothing wrong with that... right? Wrong. He had been dumping the stumps about 200 yards away from my deerstand... not that he was doing it knowing I was coming up there that day; I kindly asked him to stop and to not go anywhere near where we were hunting. "Alright, no problem." were his exact words... 30 minutes later when I'm walking to my stand, I hear and see him riding around in the field I am hunting. I was so angry! He disappeared into one of the trails that goes further into the woods before I could stop him. It just so happens that he rides over to my cousins stand on the power line. My cousin said, "Didn't Chris tell you not to come anywhere we were hunting?" Peeves says "Yeah, but I'm just riding around. No harm in that. If anything it'll make the deer curious and they'll come and see what all the ruckus is." My cousin told him to leave... so instead of taking the other way back to his house, he cuts through my field and just waves at me while I'm hunting in my stand. How ignorant and disrespectful can one be?

3.He littered around our hunting camper and me and my buddies got blamed for it.

4. He was dumping trash on our property: christmas lights, furniture, scrap metal, old 2x4s, toys, etc... We told him to stop and he deliberatly disobeyed our wishes and began doing it again anyway.

5.He began to describe in detail his relationship with his wife to me... his wife just so happens to be my cousin.
Why am I not surprised at these other antics? This guysounds like atotal douche.I wish you luck in your deer season and ridding your life of this guy.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

He is not teaching his son a thing about ethics. That is enough to piss the Pope off. You are 100% right in feeling the way you do.

Shane
Old 08-08-2007, 05:39 PM

I don't have enough time left this week to tell all of the stories I've encountered. I will say thatI have learned that there are some people you never tell where you are hunting or what you've been seeing. You can't even tell them the area that you are in! Having said that I've also learned to try to distinguish between the ones who could care less about you or anyone else, those that are truly selfish and insensitive to any needs but their own, and some who simply aren't real smart when it comes to ettiquette. Some haven't been raised well, or have never seen an example of character. I have learned that you can be friends with some but not hunt with them. You can hunt with some but not be friends--hunting ettiquette may be the only thing you have in common. SomeI wouldn't let know where I keep the keys to my truck!Just be careful who you trust with certain information and who you can hang with without fear of them taking your girlfriend. It seems that hunting can expose some real character flaws in a hurry, and it can test somes loyalty. You have hunting buddy that respects you and your stands, and you have someone you can probably trust with most anything.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yessir, fellas. This season theres no BS. I'm puttin a stop to his crap.
And, manuman, I'm starting to realize that what you said is the truth.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:43 PM

All these stories on this thread are why I most often hunt alone. Not that I am not a social person, but you have to be committed to weed out all the idiotsand find a quality person or group to hunt with. My hunting buddy moved to GA 2 years ago and I have found it easier to go by myself than to findarespectable, ethical hunterto replace him
Old 08-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

All this "hot spot" stuff is even easier now with GPS.
Just hit a button and you've got it.

This reminds me of fishing for specs and reds off La. coast. The "amateurs" would find the
guides and stick the spots in the GPS.
We'd be catching em good with a guide and in a boat would come and the it would be "lines up" and out of there.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 PM

Personally, I think there are "unspoken" rules. Most of us know what they are. Obviously the father in your situation did as well. The son will soon learn them too, in time. My uncle and I hunt alot together during bow, muzzle loader and turkey season. The spots I had when we started hunting together he won't go to without me. The spots he had when we started hunting together I won't go to without him. He set meup a couple of years ago at a favorite tree he liked to hunt and basically put a doe at 19 yards broadside for me for a bow shot. I have set him up at an area to get him a buck. We don't take others (except out of state family) to our spots and if we do, it is made clear that the land is private and they are not welcome without us. We have not had any issues as we know the rules. It is unfortunate what happend to you however, EVERYONE knows you don't take people to yourfavorite spots. That's why they're called "secret spots". I hope you get it worked out with them, they were obviously close enough friends for you to want to help them in the first place. No good deed goes unpunished... Sorry about your situation and good luck this year.