Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I Selfish?

Old 11-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Am I Selfish?

Okay here is the scenario: You have 100 acres of prime hunting ground. You've seen huge deer all year. The land you hunt is family land by marriage. Historically, two guys have been granted access to the land to hunt. They never perform any services for this right, they just call and show up. Usually during the rut and the most prime time of year. They come on, hunt three or four days and usually end up taking a great buck. I'm talking 140-150 class bucks. That's about it. No thank yous and see you next year. Now, I have moved onto the farm. I follow the deer all year long. Watching their movements, where they are feeding and bedding. I study them all year long to plan for a successful hunt and to take a true trophy. I am planning on performing some form of management, probably in the form of a food plot and some supplements. Anyhow, I am somewhat diturbed by the fact that someone has such a great privilege and no regard for management and appreciation for the right to hunt here.

Anyhow, if it was you, what would you think?

As always, thanks for your opinions.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:53 PM

Default RE: Am I Selfish?

I have gained access to just under a 1000 acres of prime land. The owner(non-hunter) of the property uses it as a summer vacation place for family and friends. This past summer I had three hunting friends come up and help build a new deck on the cabin that took just under a week to do, along with a few other things. Myself and these three also volunteered some time helping out the owners charity a couple days this summer. For this hard work we have been given the permission to put any group together we want to hunt the property. We also can use the property anytime of year, including summer vacations!

One guy that came to deer camp last year, didnt or wouldnt make time to help us out when asked. He has called in the last month and wanted to know what he should bring to deer camp. I told him if he cant make time to help the owner out he doesnt go to deer camp, theres plenty of others that will jump at the chance to hunt this property for a few days of work! He was ticked off because its such a large piece of land and only a handful of guys will be hunting on it!

Ive got no sympathy for those that just expect to be allowed to do as they want, earn it and you will be invited back every year!
Old 11-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are a couple of lucky fellas...

I see it from both points of view. Emotionally I would feel like they are getting a free ride. But then again they have permission and it sounds like it has been going on for sometime.

On the other hand, if all they hunt is for 3-4 days and manage to kill good bucks they must be good hunters and know what they are doing. In that case count your blessings. Where I hunt all kinds of people can come through and I can't do anything about it. I would be happy to have only a couple of people that knew what they were doing go about their business and then leave after 3 or 4 days.

Old 11-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good perspective Antler. I am extremely fortunate with my situation. I just wish I had a little more control. Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-08-2002, 10:39 PM

Give me the opportuntity to hunt 100 acres of prime hunting ground. I would do anything for the landowner no matter what it takes, how much sweat and man hours. Sound like an excellent opportunity.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:50 PM

I have the same situation. My wife's family has a farm that is about 1200 acres. It has been in there family for generations. The problem is that it is to big to patrol. We never refuse any hunter permision, IF they ask to hunt and let us know were they are going to be. In the past few years it has gotten out of control. People drive there trucks straight through hay, wheat, and even corn fields at night spotting deer. They actually have roads worn into the fields. I keep 100 acres to myself, which is thoroughly marked with posted signs. Still I have had tree stands stolen, I have had people try to kick me off, telling me that it is someone elses property. And telling me that I am selfish posting off 1/12 of a farm to hunt on. I am the one that feeds these deer all year long. I am the one that pays out the nose every year in lost produce, yet I am the selfish one? By the way, none of these local hunters have ever offered to help with anything around the farm.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:49 AM

Glad I'm not you guys! I've got 80 acres and no one hunts it but me. The food plots are corn and soybean fields on other lands around me but my ground is the bedding area. Oh yeah, and I have my pond in the front yard for fishing during the spring and summer.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:26 AM

you know, i have the same problem. i hunt on 160 acres, and it seems like every year the other hunters become more and more bold in how they harvest there deer. i watch, feed, study the deer on the farm all year. then a week before gun season here comes all of these so called hunters. they all know that i have a good idea on the deer movement so guess what they are doing now? they set up right by me. and when you try to find out what the heck they are doing they immediatly become defensive and tell you that it is all your fault. wewell now since i do not gun hunt i take a hunting vacation for 2 weeks and when they are done screwing up the place i spend the rest of the year putting it back together. oh well mabe some day the land owner will sell the place to me. until then i guess i will just do my best.

hunt on hunt hard eat well