Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New selfish thread. >

New selfish thread.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New selfish thread.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Default New selfish thread.

You don't have to tell me I am selfish. I already know that. I just want to know how many of you guys follow the same rule I do.

I often take friends hunting and fishing. I take them on both public and private land. I take them duck hunting, squirrel hunting, deer hunting, turkey hunting, pan fishing, bass fishing, carp fishing, and walleye fishing. If we go out and find a hunting spot together, it is fair game. If we go out fishing and get on some fish that is fair game. On the other hand, I have a very specific rule if we go specifically to one of my secret spots. I don't care if the spot is public or private the same rule applies. And the rule?.............If you come with me to my secret spots you are never allowed to go there without me or without asking me if I mind. You are especially never allowed to take someone else there. I have even gone so far as to tell them they will not be my friend any more, if I were to find them hunting in that spot with someone else. While they are there they are free to hunt how they choose and what they choose, as long as it is legal. As soon as they leave, they had better forget where it even is. I live by these rules when hunting with others as well. I would never even think of going to one of my friends hot spots without them. The only exception is my best friend. Hehas open access to any of my spots, but even he would rarely go to one of them without me. As far as I know, people have only broken my rule at my fishing spots. While I can honestly say they are still my friends, they definitely don't get invited hunting and fishing anymore. If someone finds my spots on their own, well so be it. But I don't want to be the one holding the gates open and letting the flood through.

Let the bashing begin.......
Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New selfish thread.

I take them on both public and private land.
I agree with the private land thing but sorry dude you really have no ground to stand on when it comes to telling them they cant hunt on public ground because it's "your" spot.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then you can't eat at the same pizza hut, because i found it first.I dont think that your "secret" spots on public ground are as secret as you may think. I could be wrong, its happened once before.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Good answer for private ground but public is for the public!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 PM

I understand that it is public. The ground I have to stand on is, if they don't like it they don't need to come. No one forces them to agree to this rule. They all do though. Do you know why? Because I have good hunting spots that took a lot of time to find. They know if they come with me they have a great shot at lots of action. They also know that I have no legal standing to tell them they can't hunt the spot. They also know that if they were to go to my spot without me that would be the last time I take them with. It also might damage our friendship. So to most of them, the likelihood that I will take them to other prime locations out ways the argument that it is PUBLIC. If I went by your way of thinking, I would just never take anyone to anywhere public andI wouldn't have to worry about it. Who would be the winner then?

Lets make this clear. I do not try to tell others that find spots on their own, that it is MY spot. So if you were to come across me at my favorite duck hole, you would get no grief from me. That is unless I was the one that showed it to you.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Well yes and no.

I semi agree with what was said, and yes public is public. However, I have been in similar situations, and in the spirit of friendship, which is important to me, I have respected friends wishes, and they have respected mine.

Basically it boils down to this; if I have a super hot spot for duck hunting on public water, I am not going to tell anyone, or bring anyone, that would turn around and go tell it on the mountain anyway! Because someone who would do that to you, no matter what, really isn't your friend anyhow.

You just need to trust, and mutally respect your hunting buddies, and it will never be an issue.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:43 PM

OutdoormafiaKP,
Not even close to the same thing, but nice try. If everyone in town goes to pizza hut, I will still be able to go there and get an extra large supreme pizza when ever Iwant. So how is that the same as a hunting or fishing spot?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's selfish. If I really didn't want people there when I wasn't there I wouldn't tell a soul. Unless your paying the taxes or for exclusive hunting rights to it, how can you expect to tell someone not to hunt there? Your best bet is to not let anyone know.......
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

my suggestion would be to NOT take them to your honey holes if you are worried about them hunting "your" spot.

Reid
Old 08-07-2007, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Well yes and no.

I semi agree with what was said, and yes public is public. However, I have been in similar situations, and in the spirit of friendship, which is important to me, I have respected friends wishes, and they have respected mine.

Basically it boils down to this; if I have a super hot spot for duck hunting on public water, I am not going to tell anyone, or bring anyone, that would turn around and go tell it on the mountain anyway! Because someone who would do that to you, no matter what, really isn't your friend anyhow.

You just need to trust, and mutally respect your hunting buddies, and it will never be an issue.
I agree that it would not be an issue with a friend that is a die hard hunter. I take casual hunters as well. Sometimes they do not understand the "go tell it on the mountain" idea. They also are more likely to make that new spot their permanent base camp as they do not see the harm in it. By explaining my rules up front to everyone, there can be no confusion later. As you can see by the initial responses, from people that are probably avid hunters, this can not just be assumed.

Quick Reply: New selfish thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.