Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Myles Keller

Old 08-09-2007, 06:48 AM

Default RE: Myles Keller

I was reading stories and hearing stories about Myles from the 70's and followed his accomplishments closely. How as a blue collar Hwy worker in MN, was taking some enormous Whitetails & Bears. All while working as a working class civil servant.
Ihave been a Baseball fan since as long as I can recall watching baseball. I recall watching the Ithink 65 World series (Yankees Vs Cardinals)when I was 7. Bob Gibson striking out 17 Yanks in the World Series. I idolized Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig & Ruth. Although I am still a fanatic baseball fan today, I find it hard to really like the players of this age of $$, arogance, steroids and everything else. But I love the game, still.

Like baseball I idolized bowhuntingfigures like Keller, Dick Idol, Roger Rothar.When I began shooting a long bow & recurve in adolescents I joked while shooting my bows, as hitting my target as Myles Keller. Although I still am deeply passionate about Bowhunting I've lost the same thing in our great tradition as I lost in my love of baseball in the good old days. It use to be that you felt like you could share a soda or beer with the baseball players of the 60's, and before. I felt that way about bowhunting greats of the 60's and 70's too.

Some years later I came to meet the Legend Myles Kellernow as I wasan adult &during an industry show,after one of his ASL Cancer research benefits he devotes time & resourcetoo. After seeing one of my Giant 8 pointer's (155"), we spoke thru the night over some cold one's and ate too. We've been friends and confidants since. To show what a class act he really is, at one point I had an awesome Iowa farm, I invited Myles over to scout and hunt if he wanted too. He came and spent hoursscouting there with me. He said he did not want to hunt, as he did not want toruin my chances, despite seeing in his words some of the best Big buck sign he ever had. I was hunting an 8 pointer that would score in the 180's!

He is honorable, decent and trustworthy. His in field skills and insight are second to none.

I just think that now days our great tradition Bowhunting/hunting (like baseball),needs more like him or at best needs Myles to be around to continue being Myles for young and old to see what this thing we call Bowhunting is, and is all about.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Who?
Now there's a comment I find funny. Sad, but funny.

Motown, Myles is one of THE legends in our sport for getting it done -- and without seeking the limelight. Truly a whitetail master from a bowhunting perspective.

Of course, Myles NOT seeking the limelight as much has probably been what has allowed him to get the job done as much as he has.
To add to that, he has accoplished his feats without the modern approach of growing your own and without aid from outfitters who do his scouting for him. Good old fashion hard work in the field, scouting, hunting hard, knowing his quarry rather than worrying about soil PH!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:38 AM

It's not just baseball and bowhunting. These are just symptoms of the down hill trends in our society. Everything is about the shortest route to the biggest gain without the tried and true. Steroids, all sorts of scandalous attempts to bypass the legitimate in exchange for the easy money, easy success. It is epidemic, and it has spilled over into bowhunting--hunting as a whole. Just watch a lot of the infomercials, I mean hunting shows that come on now. They are about so many needless gadgets and full of magic potions that are supposed to put a booner behind every tree![:'(][>:]I respect men like Keller, Idol, Alsheimer, etc. in direct contrast to the Jackie Bushman's, and other used car salesmen types that are only in it for the money.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 AM

I wish his name was on the post w/ "who would you want to hunt with?"

Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a XI Legend Magnum Myles Keller signature series bow. It was my first bow. When I started hunting with a bow I didn't know anyone "famous" except Fred Bear, and didn't even know much about him. My buddy used to talk about Myles a lot and how he used a pair of pantyhose and baking soda on his head to cut down scent and all the great deer this guy had gotten. I've since read articles by him and seen his name refrenced here and there but he is definitely a shadow on the margins, which may be what he likes. Fame isn't all good. Tell him a couple of VA hunters say hello.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM

At one point I think he had killed more P&Y whitetails than anyone else? I'm sure he is still in the top few... I'd love to have any information from him.....
Old 08-09-2007, 04:14 PM

A Whitetail Master yes, but a lot of people do not know that he has killed 5 record book Bears, one of which held the Minn State archery record for 13 years @ 21 4/16th! The Colorado 1974 State Elk record, wth 5 record book bears as well. All hands on stuff too, not this guided, and I got a deer you can kill deals of today.

The best thing is he is still doing it, his way!

He really is a bowhunting legend
Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 PM

Anyone have any otherpositive thoughts, stories about Myles Keller to share?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Spike

Lightbulb myles Keller

It would be great to hear from Myles again, one reason he might not seek the limelight is he just enjoys the hunt. To many braggards out there anyway.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chazspot
Myles Keller was one of my bow hunting heroes back in the 90's. I shot my first deer with a XI Impact. My buddies and I always looked up to him. I just haven't heard anything about him in a long time.

I worked on one for a customer today.... its ridiculously too long... and he's on a tight budget.... short strung her..... still shoots bullets... I suspect he'll kill a few with her!

Myles Keller was a bit before my time... I know who he is.... and who (I am assuming Tyson is his son) his son is. Both of them (be them connected or not, though they look a hell of a lot alike) are phenomenal hunters. I've seen lots of older stuff on him, and read about him a fair piece.... though he was largely vanished by the time I came to seriously bowhunt around '99.

I'd put Myles with the ranks of Chuck Adams... infact... they have a lot of similarities... fairly misunderstood... self made.... hard working... hard hunting... NO BS.....honest folks.

Almost all of us know somebody like them.... that one old country boy who usually runs his own small business or farm... has some good places to hunt.... and always kills big deer... yet they are often pretty soft spoken about it... and usually pretty simple at the core. Forget a 6th sense... they have a 7th 8th and 9th sense for deer... and usually for turkeys and fish too.

Quick Reply: Myles Keller

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.