HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Myles Keller
Thread: Myles Keller
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 06:48 AM
blumtnarch

Default RE: Myles Keller

I was reading stories and hearing stories about Myles from the 70's and followed his accomplishments closely. How as a blue collar Hwy worker in MN, was taking some enormous Whitetails & Bears. All while working as a working class civil servant.
Ihave been a Baseball fan since as long as I can recall watching baseball. I recall watching the Ithink 65 World series (Yankees Vs Cardinals)when I was 7. Bob Gibson striking out 17 Yanks in the World Series. I idolized Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig & Ruth. Although I am still a fanatic baseball fan today, I find it hard to really like the players of this age of $$, arogance, steroids and everything else. But I love the game, still.

Like baseball I idolized bowhuntingfigures like Keller, Dick Idol, Roger Rothar.When I began shooting a long bow & recurve in adolescents I joked while shooting my bows, as hitting my target as Myles Keller. Although I still am deeply passionate about Bowhunting I've lost the same thing in our great tradition as I lost in my love of baseball in the good old days. It use to be that you felt like you could share a soda or beer with the baseball players of the 60's, and before. I felt that way about bowhunting greats of the 60's and 70's too.

Some years later I came to meet the Legend Myles Kellernow as I wasan adult &during an industry show,after one of his ASL Cancer research benefits he devotes time & resourcetoo. After seeing one of my Giant 8 pointer's (155"), we spoke thru the night over some cold one's and ate too. We've been friends and confidants since. To show what a class act he really is, at one point I had an awesome Iowa farm, I invited Myles over to scout and hunt if he wanted too. He came and spent hoursscouting there with me. He said he did not want to hunt, as he did not want toruin my chances, despite seeing in his words some of the best Big buck sign he ever had. I was hunting an 8 pointer that would score in the 180's!

He is honorable, decent and trustworthy. His in field skills and insight are second to none.

I just think that now days our great tradition Bowhunting/hunting (like baseball),needs more like him or at best needs Myles to be around to continue being Myles for young and old to see what this thing we call Bowhunting is, and is all about.