Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Healthy herd myth >

Healthy herd myth

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Healthy herd myth

Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Healthy herd myth

Can we stop this already???..............just another one of our catch phrases that makes us look foolish when we try to explain/justify what we do.

Like so many other things in life........it has gotten twisted by some (TDM/QDM) to conform to what THEY want it to mean...........and people see through that in a second. When this happens the first gut reaction someone has is to not trust the person speaking about this and every other topic to follow............it destroys credibility. You start to feel like you are talking to a salesman.........or a politican.........someone who will tell you whatever you want to hear to further their own agenda........NONE of it is true and ALL of their motives are selfish.

NY (where I live) would never be mistaken for a hot bed of slammer bucks.............sure there are a couple out there that fall every year but if you are looking at the map and planning a hunting trip for a huge buck.............NY will be pretty far down that list. We have deer and some places have more then others. I have been hunting here for 20 years so I have a reasonably good idea of what is out there..........the deer herd is far from "unhealthy". I kill and butcher deer here year after year and they are VERY well fed with plenty of fat on them for the winter and enough meat on their bones to show they have no trouble finding food. There are no genetic problems (health wise)........no double recessive traits commonly showing up, no rampant inbreeding, no diseases or any other indication that these deer are anything but healthy.

But they don't sport huge head gear so I have to sit in town meetings and listen to some troglodyte trying to tell hunters and non hunters alike that our herd is "unhealthy" and we suddenly need to "manage" it. [:@] If you want something then ask for it..........but be HONEST. Don't try to trick people into giving you what you want by skirting the truth.

The fact that the above "logic" is followed up 99% of the time by a gameplan to keep the herd "healthier" that includes shooting all the biggest, strongest, healthiest males is mind boggling.

What's wrong with just being honest???
Old 08-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Healthy herd myth

Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now he's back

Atlas look at it this way, and I wonder about this:

When the older deer where doing all the breeding at the end of rut they were not the strongest and healthiest deer. So would they be more proned to predators? I have no idea, just asking

I would say unbalanced herd would make more sense than unhealthy.

someone who will tell you whatever you want to hear to further their own agenda........NONE of it is true and ALL of their motives are selfish.
The agenda runs both ways, we need to find some common ground. I think we will.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh how PROFOUND. Just shoot your spiker and be happy. Them deer up there put on 200 pound bodies but can't grow a rack? Please.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the atlas we all know and...um we all know and...tolerate[8D]
Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

BTW

troglodyte -a person of degraded, primitive, or brutal character.

Nice word Atlas
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

When the older deer where doing all the breeding at the end of rut they were not the strongest and healthiest deer. So would they be more proned to predators? I have no idea, just asking

Not really sure I get what you are asking.........because they are so run down from chasing?? If so then they are certainly still the healthiest and strongest.........they are just a little winded that's all

I would say unbalanced herd would make more sense than unhealthy.
And NO ONE cares about herd "balance"........unless you are a hunter that wants to see and kill more larger racked bucks without changing what you do personally.

People know this so they won't talk to non hunters about "balance" because they know no one would care.........being slick about it and playing the "unhealthy" card draws on people's feelings to "help".

Reminds me of the South Park where the 2 hunters justify themselves by saying "If we don't kill 'em..........They could die!!!"

The agenda runs both ways

How so?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Oh how PROFOUND.
Thanks.

Just shoot your spiker and be happy.

That doesn't mean very much coming from someone who shot a busted up half racked deer soley for the purpose of points in an online deer contest...........but thanks anyways, I will.

Them deer up there put on 200 pound bodies but can't grow a rack? Please.

A deer has to weigh 200lbs to be "healthy"??? Please.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Oh how PROFOUND.
Thanks.

Just shoot your spiker and be happy.

That doesn't mean very much coming from someone who shot a busted up half racked deer soley for the purpose of points in an online deer contest...........but thanks anyways, I will.

Them deer up there put on 200 pound bodies but can't grow a rack? Please.

A deer has to weigh 200lbs to be "healthy"??? Please.
I did shoot the half rack just for the team. It will not happen again. You will still shoot your spiker though. Again, again, and again. Perpetual spiker hunter.

Quick Reply: Healthy herd myth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.