Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Healthy herd myth >

Healthy herd myth

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Healthy herd myth

Old 08-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Healthy herd myth

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Germ

Like shed33 said in his post would we even know?

You knew............and you still said it.

I wouldn't want a quote like that attached to my name.
No Atlas, If antlers never existed would it even matter? I never looked at it that way.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I figured this was coming so here we go:

So you don't care about the rights of other hunters............that's great. We have some real special quotes coming out of this thread.
Never said that. Don't put meaning behind what I say that isn't there. Your perception of what is "your right" is just that your perception. Your rights are to hunt within the confines of the law. If that law changes, then so do your rights.

Saying that finding them will be easier but killing will not be is ludicrous.
A: How would you know how difficult it is since you only shoot small bucks?

B: I've found a lot of areas that have big bucks that I can't hunt because it is posted land and areas that I can hunt those big deer are extremely reclusive during the season. Just seeing them after the opener is difficult. Yes, they are there now, but they are by no means easy to hunt.

Read that back to yourself and tell me it doesn't sound stupid. So you don't care about your right to free speech or have a weapon or practice religion either?? Your way of thinking is scarey...........assuming you are thinking at all of course.
Don't compare hunting rights to Constitutional rights. That is ridiculous. Also, see above. Your rights as a hunter are to hunt within the confines of the law, as are mine.

Also, I am thinking, I'm just not thinking like you. So, in your view anyone that doesn't think like you is stupid or inferior. Nice.[&o]

So you are asking to just be left alone to hunt the way YOU choose???

Sounds familiar
Nope, I just refuse to justify my hunting preference to you and people who think like you. Everything I do while hunting is legal so I know I'll be left alone. Anyone around here that shoots deer outside the AR will not be.

Again, don't try to put meaning that isn't there.

I mean this sincerely............there is NO WAY I will EVER respect an opinion that is justified by comparisons to spoiled millionaire athletes and followed up by statements showing a blatant disregard for other hunter's rights and freedom in general.
Again, you are completely missing the point. I do not have disregard for other hunter's rights. In your state there are no ARs so you are free to shoot whatever buck you want within your state's legal limits. If anyone were to try to tell you you are wrong for doing that I would support you 100%. I do not agree with hunters that preach QDM to further their own agenda. I have been open and straight forward about my intentions. If the state will make laws that are in my favor then of course I am for it. It does not infringe on anyone's rights when that happens. You can still hunt the same herd, on the same days, using the same means to take animals. You just have to stay within the confines of the law of which deer you shoot. When it comes down to it, ARs are similar to bag limit changes. Nobody says their rights are being infringed upon then.

The comparison to athletes you have completely taken out of context to furthe your agenda to discredit my view (sound familiar). I'm not even going to explain it, because it's a fuitile effort.

I respect your right to express that opinion but that is as close as you will ever get.
So, you only respect the opinions of others if they agree with your views?

Some of the opinions expressed by "fellow" hunters in the last day or so on this board have really dampened my spirits about where we stand right now.............and what the not too distant future holds.
Ah, the old doom and gloom sentiment. I don't know about other states, but in PA the number of hunters is decreasing, but the number of bowhunters has been increasing. If you are talking about the future of bowhunting it looks pretty secure.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Like shed33 said in his post would we even know?

You knew............and you still said it.

I wouldn't want a quote like that attached to my name.
No Atlas, If antlers never existed would it even matter? I never looked at it that way.

Shed's point of view came along after you made your statement so that point is irrelevant here.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you guys STILL at it?What a waste![8D]
Old 08-05-2007, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Never said that. Don't put meaning behind what I say that isn't there. Your perception of what is "your right" is just that your perception. Your rights are to hunt within the confines of the law. If that law changes, then so do your rights.
So you wouldn't care then if the laws changed to ban weapons, free speech, and religion then I guess.

Because killing small bucks is easier if there are more of them.........killing ANYTHING is easier if the populations are higher. Pretty simple concept. It has been proven time and again on this very board that the same hunter can make no changes to his routine and still see and kill more older bucks simply by not shooting them for a couple years and just waiting until they are "old enough"..........a definition that varies depending on the shooter.

B: I've found a lot of areas that have big bucks that I can't hunt because it is posted land and areas that I can hunt those big deer are extremely reclusive during the season. Just seeing them after the opener is difficult. Yes, they are there now, but they are by no means easy to hunt.
Nobody said they would be "easy" to hunt..........but you did say that having more of them around would not make hunting them easier and that is absurd...........it is the entire foundation of TDM/QDM for cripes sake.

Don't compare hunting rights to Constitutional rights. That is ridiculous. Also, see above. Your rights as a hunter are to hunt within the confines of the law, as are mine.
Keep thinking that way and you will be telling stories when you are older about the good old days when you used to be able to hunt. You need to get your head out of the sand..........or wherever else it is stuck.

Also, I am thinking, I'm just not thinking like you. So, in your view anyone that doesn't think like you is stupid or inferior. Nice.[&o]

I never called you either.............and this statement is even more rediculous considering you were just whining a few lines up (and below) about others assigning meaning to your words

Nope, I just refuse to justify my hunting preference to you and people who think like you.
Right back atcha Leave me alone and mind your own business and I will return the favor.

Again, you are completely missing the point. I do not have disregard for other hunter's rights.
Aren't you the SAME guy who said earlier that if another hunter feels like his rights are being infringed upon then BOO HOO. You are starting to talk in circles now.

If the state will make laws that are in my favor then of course I am for it.
Exactly...........and you don't care about all the other hunters because you will get your way (a way you could obtain WITHOUT forcing others to help you but are not willing/able to do).

The epitome of selfishness............no wonder you idolize spoiled athletes.

It does not infringe on anyone's rights when that happens.
It most certainly does.

You can still hunt the same herd
No I can't............a large portion of them will now be off limits because because a bunch of grown men with fragile egos want help proving how much of a man they are.

When it comes down to it, ARs are similar to bag limit changes. Nobody says their rights are being infringed upon then.
Bag limits are to protect the ANIMALS from getting knocked too low and endangering the populations ability to bounce back. AR's are to protect the HUNTER with the Playstation, Drive Thru, Instant gratification, I want more, Selfish attitude from being bored in the woods............god forbid there aren't enough slammers out there to keep the freakin ADHD crowd interested.

And if you think no one complains when bag limits (tags) change then you are SERIOUSLY clueless.

The comparison to athletes you have completely taken out of context to furthe your agenda to discredit my view (sound familiar). I'm not even going to explain it, because it's a fuitile effort.
There is no way to explain that way of thinking........it is what it is and trust me.............I am not the only one who said WOW when he read that

I gave you my reasons for not respecting your opinions...........and they had nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing. Nice try though.

Ah, the old doom and gloom sentiment. I don't know about other states, but in PA the number of hunters is decreasing, but the number of bowhunters has been increasing. If you are talking about the future of bowhunting it looks pretty secure.

Man...........you just don't get it
Old 08-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

So you wouldn't care then if the laws changed to ban weapons, free speech, and religion then I guess.

Because killing small bucks is easier if there are more of them.........killing ANYTHING is easier if the populations are higher. Pretty simple concept. It has been proven time and again on this very board that the same hunter can make no changes to his routine and still see and kill more older bucks simply by not shooting them for a couple years and just waiting until they are "old enough"..........a definition that varies depending on the shooter.

Nobody said they would be "easy" to hunt..........but you did say that having more of them around would not make hunting them easier and that is absurd...........it is the entire foundation of TDM/QDM for cripes sake.

Keep thinking that way and you will be telling stories when you are older about the good old days when you used to be able to hunt. You need to get your head out of the sand..........or wherever else it is stuck.

I never called you either.............and this statement is even more rediculous considering you were just whining a few lines up (and below) about others assigning meaning to your words

Nope, I just refuse to justify my hunting preference to you and people who think like you.
Right back atcha Leave me alone and mind your own business and I will return the favor.

Again, you are completely missing the point. I do not have disregard for other hunter's rights.
Aren't you the SAME guy who said earlier that if another hunter feels like his rights are being infringed upon then BOO HOO. You are starting to talk in circles now.

If the state will make laws that are in my favor then of course I am for it.
Exactly...........and you don't care about all the other hunters because you will get your way (a way you could obtain WITHOUT forcing others to help you but are not willing/able to do).

The epitome of selfishness............no wonder you idolize spoiled athletes.

It does not infringe on anyone's rights when that happens.
It most certainly does.

You can still hunt the same herd
No I can't............a large portion of them will now be off limits because because a bunch of grown men with fragile egos want help proving how much of a man they are.

When it comes down to it, ARs are similar to bag limit changes. Nobody says their rights are being infringed upon then.
Bag limits are to protect the ANIMALS from getting knocked too low and endangering the populations ability to bounce back. AR's are to protect the HUNTER with the Playstation, Drive Thru, Instant gratification, I want more, Selfish attitude from being bored in the woods............god forbid there aren't enough slammers out there to keep the freakin ADHD crowd interested.

And if you think no one complains when bag limits (tags) change then you are SERIOUSLY clueless.

There is no way to explain that way of thinking........it is what it is and trust me.............I am not the only one who said WOW when he read that

I gave you my reasons for not respecting your opinions...........and they had nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing. Nice try though.

Man...........you just don't get it
Atlas, as far as posters go on this forum I like you. I respect your convictions and the zeal with which you defend them. I've read all of your replies to what I've said and come to the conclusion that you will read whatever you want into what I say no matter how I say it.

Since I am not able to get my point across to someone with an open mind I am done trying. You and I will have to agree to disagree and leave it at that because we are getting nowhere here.

Good luck this fall.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Atlas, as far as posters go on this forum I like you.
Same here............please don't ever mistake disagreement for dislike......I'm sure 99% of us would have no problems being friends if we knew each other personally.

I've read all of your replies to what I've said and come to the conclusion that you will read whatever you want into what I say no matter how I say it.
I am also sure that many details get lost when people speak over monitors instead of face to face. Verbal conversation will always be a superior way to communicate. However this place is what it is so we have to do our best with what we've got. I can assure you (and everyone else) that I don't debate/discuss/argue on this forum just for the sake of doing so. I have much better things to do with my life and speaking frankly, my time is too valuable to waste it on something so futile. My replies are genuine and what you read from me is a real response to the message I got from your post. I don't pretend to believe for one second that the message is always 100% of what the poster intended but I do my best not to read into what someone else is saying or put words in their mouth. I don't like being misquoted or having people tell me "what I REALLY meant" by what I said so I try not to do it to others.

Good luck this fall.

You too...........shoot straight and be safe.