Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Healthy herd myth >

Healthy herd myth

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Healthy herd myth

Old 08-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Healthy herd myth

GR8:

I've always been up-front....so I'll answer 1-5 YES.

1) Our habitat's carrying capacity is (in the opinion of the wildlife bio) at a critical point. This needs doing (herd reduction)

2) This is a side benefit. He already has a depredation permit....but what I do will benefit him.

3) I picked up 5 last year on a 1.5 mi. stretch of my road. I saw 3 others that made it to the woods before they expired. I don't know how many more I didn't see....but yes....it's a problem.

4) Bcuk:doe is too high according to my log and my conversations with the bio. I'm going on his word. It's also not as bad as one might assume based on my sightings, alone.

5) Yes. I admit this.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I did shoot the half rack just for the team. It will not happen again. You will still shoot your spiker though. Again, again, and again. Perpetual spiker hunter.

At least it will be MY choice. I will take comfort in knowing my convictions could never be swayed by an online "contest" over the feeling you'll have in your gut every time you see or think about that deer.

BTW.........I have shot 1 spike buck in my life.........nice try though
Old 08-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I did shoot the half rack just for the team. It will not happen again. You will still shoot your spiker though. Again, again, and again. Perpetual spiker hunter.

At least it my be MY choice. I will take comfort in knowing my convictions could never be swayed by an online "contest" over the feeling you'll have in your gut every time you see or think about that deer.

BTW.........I have shot 1 spike buck in my life.........nice try though
What?? He was going on 6 atlas, I was helping the "Health of the heard"Good luck this season Atlas.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

That is a false statement, I ask can you prove it?

No more then you can prove it is false. The only people that would even think of uttering the word balance are hunters. An ordinary citizen not only doesn't know what that means but simply couldn't care less. They just want fewer deer eating their flowers and running in front of their cars. They are not interested in "balance"...........nor is anyone else unless they have a self serving agenda.

How come no one cares about the "balance" of the rabbit population??......I have never seen one initiative to further the health of the rabbit herd by not shooting the smaller males. I wonder why that is. There must be a reason.

really? So if you ran around for 2 weeks and lost atleast 30% of your weight, and sleep and eatvery little you would be as healthy as me who did not?

Lets not forget trying to beat up the guy who is after your harem. I would think you would be a little more than winded I forgot you had lots of sex also
If another deer comes along and topples "the man" then so be it........that is nature and he had his turn at the top. You are talking about a very brief stint of when these deer are vulnerable........95% of the rest of the year they are kings. Clipping the alpha male from a herd does nothing but weaken it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:15 PM

Good luck this season Atlas.

You too man.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's funny Ryan! Appropriate but funny.Atlasman must have sensed that I just took him off block recently.
I think it may be 20 page envy at work.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

An ordinary citizen not only doesn't know what that means but simply couldn't care less. They just want fewer deer eating their flowers and running in front of their cars. They are not interested in "balance"...........nor is anyone else unless they have a self serving agenda.
Agreed.....

Clipping the alpha male from a herd does nothing but weaken it.
Don't know enough about this.....but I would guess it could go either way.....dependent upon the genetics of the dominant buck (And I concede he's the dominant buck for a reason). Interesting discussion in itself, I assume. I hope to watch this unfold, this Fall.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm honest and forthcoming about my desires for management of the herd. I have been involved in sports all of my life. Every tournament, playoff, game, or championship I have been involved with I have wanted to take home a trophy. At work, I am not content to sit idle in a dead end position, but want to advance. In hunting I like to see and hopefully shoot bucks bigger than those I have killed in the past.

If the state is going to enact laws that help me do that I am all for it. I know that an out of balance buck to doe ratio will make it harder for me to do that because a) the does overpopulation is taking food away that will help the bucks grow bigger racks, and b) the lack of competition during the rut makes it more difficult to catch the bigger bucks chasing.

If in the end all of this results in a healthier herd, then all the better. I do have an interest in wildlife management, enough so that it was my minor in college, but it is not my driving force in hunting.

I want nice big bucks to put on my wall and look at while I'm watching hunting shows in the off-season and dreaming about the next season. If you have a problem with that then poo-poo on you.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I'm honest and forthcoming about my desires for management of the herd. I have been involved in sports all of my life. Every tournament, playoff, game, or championship I have been involved with I have wanted to take home a trophy. At work, I am not content to sit idle in a dead end position, but want to advance. In hunting I like to see and hopefully shoot bucks bigger than those I have killed in the past.

If the state is going to enact laws that help me do that I am all for it. I know that an out of balance buck to doe ratio will make it harder for me to do that because a) the does overpopulation is taking food away that will help the bucks grow bigger racks, and b) the lack of competition during the rut makes it more difficult to catch the bigger bucks chasing.

If in the end all of this results in a healthier herd, then all the better. I do have an interest in wildlife management, enough so that it was my minor in college, but it is not my driving force in hunting.

I want nice big bucks to put on my wall and look at while I'm watching hunting shows in the off-season and dreaming about the next season. If you have a problem with that then poo-poo on you.
Great post! I think this sums it up nicely. Shoot whatever you want Atlas, some of us will keep managing the herd for ya.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can we stop this already???..............just another one of our catch phrases that makes us look foolish when we try to explain/justify what we do.
Whydo you have this pressing need, to explain what you do, to the troglodytes?

Like so many other things in life........it has gotten twisted by some (TDM/QDM) to conform to what THEY want it to mean
So if there is a "them" there must be an "us" What do the Us's want?

None of it is true and ALL of their motives are selfish.
Again... "us" vs "them"...What are "our" motives?

NY (where I live) would never be mistaken for a hot bed of slammer bucks
There are no "easy" slammer bucks no matter where you live.

But they don't sport huge head gear so I have to sit in town meetings and listen to some troglodyte trying to tell hunters and non hunters alike that our herd is "unhealthy" and we suddenly need to "manage" it. [:@] If you want something then ask for it..........but be HONEST. Don't try to trick people into giving you what you want by skirting the truth.

The fact that the above "logic" is followed up 99% of the time by a gameplan to keep the herd "healthier" that includes shooting all the biggest, strongest, healthiest males is mind boggling.

What's wrong with just being honest???

So what is it you want? what do you want the Community to say? What do you want the forum to say?

What's wrong with just being honest?

Quick Reply: Healthy herd myth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.