Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Healthy herd myth >

Healthy herd myth

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Healthy herd myth

Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Healthy herd myth

And NO ONE cares about herd "balance"........unless you are a hunter that wants to see and kill more larger racked bucks without changing what you do personally.
I think there are exceptions to this......at least I hope so.

Right now I'm interested in herd REDUCTION. Balance is a side benefit (hopefully).
Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

And NO ONE cares about herd "balance"........unless you are a hunter that wants to see and kill more larger racked bucks without changing what you do personally.
That is a false statement, I ask can you prove it? I know plenty guys who care, and do not shoot big rack deer. They hunt the UP of MI and seen what happen when the deer herd was managed poorly by our DNR.
Deer yards destroyed, Populations went way down below carring capacity. These guys could careless about racks. They just want to enjoy hunting again. It all happen because the population got way to high.

I care and I will try to shoot big racks here in MI regardless of what happens. I will still whack does as needed to help our area. If I did not care I would never shoot a doe Atlas. Every time I shoot one my chances of shooting a mature deer goes down.

How so?
I can only speak about MI.

We have a camp thatwants to see deer and lots of them. They care about nothing more than seeing deer. If they had it their way a doe tag would not be issued. We have three camps, one about QDM(big racks), TDM(Tradional DeerManagement - Quantity). The guys who want to enojoy hunting and do what is best for the herd. They may shoot big racks and they may not.

Not really sure I get what you are asking.........because they are so run down from chasing?? If so then they are certainly still the healthiest and strongest.........they are just a little winded that's all
really? So if you ran around for 2 weeks and lost atleast 30% of your weight, and sleep and eatvery little you would be as healthy as me who did not? Lets not forget trying to beat up the guy who is after your harem. I would think you would be a little more than winded I forgot you had lots of sex also
Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check out this link guys. Come interesting charts that are related to this conversation.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/game_management/deer/antlers_inherited/
Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmmmmthiscould be a contender??

And further:
Troglodyte may refer to:
[ul][*]A member of a primitive race or tribe of cave-dwellers, a caveman.[*]A person who lives in seclusion, a hermit.[*]A person who lives in a slum, a degraded person like the prehistoric or savage cave-dwellers.[*]One of a group of people who built homes into the faces of cliffs, connected by underground passageways, such as in France or Tunisia.[*]Troglodytes (wren), a genus of small bird.[*]The common chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes, an anthropoid ape.[*]Troglodyte (Dungeons & Dragons), a race of humanoid monsters in the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game. [/ul]

I learned something from this post!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Hmmmmmthiscould be a contender??

Without a doubt.......this is it. [8D]

Who woulda known.....I voted for Jeff.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Check out this link guys. Come interesting charts that are related to this conversation.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/game_management/deer/antlers_inherited/
That was a pretty interesting read.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Atlas...

Edit:

I understand (read it again).

I have the same feling when I walk away from the meeting i had with a neighboring farmer. He gave me the same speech.....though our herd IS in need of "management".

He's just a flat out liar. He has no intentions of practicing what he preaches. His shed is adorned with evidence of such.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm with Atlasman on this one. Welcome back Atlas. I was watching a hunting show yesterday. The guy shot a younger buck.(His last day of hunting.... hmmmmmm??) Anyway, first words out of his mouth, "Nice management buck". Give me a break. If I shot the dang thing he'd tell me I should have let it grow up for the "HEALTH of the HERD". He gives up and doesn't want to eat tag soup he calls it a "Management buck". LOL. And you're right about the NY deer Atlas. They're butter ball fat and weigh more at a year and a half than most of those "Well Managed" deer in Texas at 4 or 5. They might look a little beat up after10 or 11 feet of snow in the winter but they bounce right back. Right on Atlasman.[8D]
Old 08-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I'm with Atlasman on this one. Welcome back Atlas. I was watching a hunting show yesterday. The guy shot a younger buck.(His last day of hunting.... hmmmmmm??) Anyway, first words out of his mouth, "Nice management buck". Give me a break. If I shot the dang thing he'd tell me I should have let it grow up for the "HEALTH of the HERD". He gives up and doesn't want to eat tag soup he calls it a "Management buck". LOL. And you're right about the NY deer Atlas. They're butter ball fat and weigh more at a year and a half than most of those "Well Managed" deer in Texas at 4 or 5. They might look a little beat up after10 or 11 feet of snow in the winter but they bounce right back. Right on Atlasman.[8D]
Are we talking about ranches now DM? I thought we were talking how DNR(Dec) NY wants to manage the herd.

Your last line is what used to happen in the UP in MI. One year they did not bounce back[]

Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I may tie 2 threads together. What canone person in a one or two deer state expect to accomplish in maintaining a healthy herd. Not much, the best you could do is let the best buck in your area walk..wow. Who's signing up for that commitment?

Now if I may ask GMMAT and HuntingEda question. (Not to call you two out, but you have made many statements that your goal is to reduce your herd.)

What are yourreasons for herd reduction?

1. Deer are starving, not enough food to sustain them.
2.Helping the local farmers, who are the ones sufferring.
3. Deer vs car incidents too high surrounding your area.
4. Buck to doe ratio to high, and this is bad because.....
5. Wish to grow better Bucks.
6.Other

Quick Reply: Healthy herd myth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.