Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practicing spot and stalk >

Practicing spot and stalk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practicing spot and stalk

Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Practicing spot and stalk

I went out to one of my hunting spots yesterday to makea few natural ground blinds. I took my bow and camo along to practice my spot and stalk technique. One thing is for sure. It's a little harder with a bow than while a rifle. This will be my first year bow hunting, so I haven't had to get real close to deer before. Not only do I have to be not so loud but I have to be careful on what my bow comes in contact with. I stalked to within 30 yards of two different doe in different spots. The first one winded me but I just waited until she calmed down before closing the distance to 30 yards. The second one didn't think I saw her but I did. I got out of her view and snuck up behind her.

I also saw a few more doe and fawn that busted me. Little guys are starting to loss their spots.A few of them never did see me. They would snort and stomp but wouldn't leave. I even had one circle around me. She saw me sitting in the grass but couldn't figure out what I was. I lost view of her for a few minutes and the next thing I know, she was about 25 yards behind me. She put a good stalk on me.

I only saw one buck. He was one a year old and onlyfolks for antlers. I did manage to bust an arrow. I was working on judging yardage and mistook a rock for a clump of dirt.

I got a couple good blinds built and had fun with the deer. Think I may go build a couple moreSaturday morning. If anyone has any suggestions for buildingnatural ground blinds, I would appreciate the help. I never had built one before.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 AM

Default RE: Practicing spot and stalk

if you like stalking and hunting on the ground, like i do. Stalking & Still-Hunting: the ground hunter's bible by G. Fred Asbell is a must read. i only hunt on the ground, i mostly hunt out of natural ground blinds. i stalk my way in and out, a good animal to practie on is groundhogs and turkeys. heres a link to check out the book http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0014761613575a&navCount=1&podI d=0014761613575&parentId=cat601668&masterp athid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat2142 4-cat601668&catalogCode=QW&rid=&parentTy pe=index&indexId=cat601668&hasJS=true