Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spot & Stalk

Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default Spot & Stalk

How many of you spot and stalk for deer. I live in mule deer country and will try it this year. I will have about 11 sections of prime mule deer hunting and really have most of the season to hunt it. I could use some pointers if any one has any. I have hunted mule deer all my life but not with a bow. I will be going the first weekend of Sept. mostly because I can't wait.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spot & Stalk

i now nothing about mule deer because i only hunt white tail.

but some times with white tail i spot them and then i stalk them down untill i get a shot with a bow, and sometimes i go and sit in my stand but its weird because most of my luck is when im stalking them.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:34 PM

Hey neb, does that stand for Nebraska by chance? Just curious because I am going on a spot and stalk mule deer hunt of my own on Setember 15th in western Nebraska. I guess I could use a few pointers myself, for this is my first time going after mulies. I can't wait though, it is going to be exciting!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I live in MT. and really have all bow season to hunt about 11 sections of land. It is my passion for mule deer. I do know the rut will be the best buT i WANT TO HUNT THE FIRST WEEKEND. As much as I know about mule deer I could use some pointer and really can't give much on stalking. The country is tough going and all packing and climbing. The worsts is the rattlers because it is so warm here.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Tried it on some crows this evening....no luck.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

Mulies have great eye sight and an unbelieveable sense of smell not to mention those dang ears. Best advice I can give is to slow down. When glassing pick apart the shadows. I always found it easiest to find a buck feeding in the morning follow him till he beds durring the middle of the day,get the wind in your favor and make a very slow calculated stalk. I have found that most boot soles are very hard and noisy so I carry a pair of felt covers for my boots, I think they are made by carlton calls. Like I said the best advice I can give is to go slow, cant even tell you how many times I've blown a stalk by getting in a hurry.

Hope this helps

Rogue
Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 PM

i don't know about muleys but what i have done with whitetails is put a grunt tube in my mouth and hold the bow over my head.just give a few toots and walk slowly toward some cover so you can get you bow ready to shoot. hope this helps
Old 08-16-2007, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get to know the terrian very well! Try to have a rangefinder in your pocket if all possible. I usually get up high on a point and glass in the morning. Once I catch one moving, I'll develop a game plan and usually try to get ahead of where he is going, rather than stalking to where he is

If it's later in the morning, I'll usually watch where he beds down for the day. Then make the stalk!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some great tips on here already, but just to add to the "slow down" tip.... If you have spent a long time sneaking into an area you saw a buck, don't give up because he isn't in the same spot anymore. I don't know how many times I blew an opportunity because I gave up 5 minutes early. I would think that there is no way he is there anymore, stand up to look around and BOOOM he busts out 20 yards from me.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:29 AM

I would definately try the ambush tactic before I tried to sneak up on one. Just because my sneakiness is not very......um...sneaky perhaps....especially on dry leaves. All the deer I have stalked have been from dirt road or worn fourwheeler trails that make the going easy. Just "head 'em off at the pass."

Quick Reply: Spot & Stalk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.