Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Spot -n- stalk.. how too?? >

Spot -n- stalk.. how too??

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Spot -n- stalk.. how too??

Old 01-12-2002, 12:17 AM

Default Spot -n- stalk.. how too??

Greetings,

I have been hunting in NW Oregon, Stott Mt district, for 5 years now, Deer mostly, but two years ago I started on elk, and I small game hunt in the off seasons while scouting.
My partner and I have ahbitually scouted in the preseason as much as time allowed, then during the hunt we sit in a stand for morning and evening, and either go home for lunch ( on the lazy days) or scout around hoping to find something during the midday. ( From around 10 or 11 am to as late as 3pm ) We have been marginally sucessful, got two very nice bucks 2 years ago, and he filled his doe tags both years he drew one. But I wonder if we would be more successful if we changed our tactics. I just am not sure how. We jumped a buck during elk season two years ago, ( let him go of course, he wasnt in season. ) and this last year I had a buck come within 15 yards of me when I stopped to check some sign, ( during elk season again, of course ) but we have not ever tried to stalk in to them, and I think we might like too.

Any replies are helpful
Old 01-12-2002, 08:49 PM

Default RE: Spot -n- stalk.. how too??

AUDI,
The backbone of the spot and stalk method is a very good set of optics and knowledge of the ares. It helps if your not looking for game and they're not there. What has worked for me better than most methods is to be on top of a vantage point at dawn. Spend your time glassing the area until game is spotted. Determine the wind and light conditions, the best way to get to the game when they bed down. I preferr to hunt down on game if conditions will allow it. Move slow when there's a chance you may be spotted. DO NOT skyline your self. I have found that the dawn and late afternoons are the best time for spotting. I've also found it a good idea to spot in the afternoon to locate where the game is going to bed, spend the night on site, and move with first light. Then you can be where you want to be before they come back. Game may not come back to the exact location everynight, but it's usually pretty close to it. I hope that this is of some help.