Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any golfers out there.....interesting questions? >

Any golfers out there.....interesting questions?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any golfers out there.....interesting questions?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Any golfers out there.....interesting questions?

Buckeye asked why I always tend to relate archery to golf. It was a fair question....and I'm not making light of it.

I do that because it's the only thing "I know" I can relate archery to. I tried to get a buddy introduced to archery (even target shooting).....and I then started to realize how much they ARE similar.

In golf.....I practiced a lot.....moreso than I do in shooting my bow. in golf.....we try to achieve a repeated swing. We try to ingrain into our minds.....THE swing. We do this....so that we can make the SAME swing....NO MATTER what the situation before us entails (ex. driving off the tee when you're one shot up on the final hole vs. your first tee shot). The golf swing becomes almost WHOLELY, MENTAL. You've practiced it a million times. Now just go out there.....trust it....and EXECUTE.

Does any of this sound familiar?

I found this out.....just how familiar this is.....when I was shooting 5-spot....and during 3D shoots. To me....it's amazing the similarities these two endeavors share.

Does any of this hit home with you.....even in other sports?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Any golfers out there.....interesting questions?

I constantly think of archery in a "golf" mindframe, and vice versa.

Both deal with knowing your precise distances.
The farther you get from the target, the harder it is to group tightly.
The farther from the target, the more time the "flying object" has time to be affected by the elements.
I guess you cant shank an arrow, though a really badarrow shotmight be considered a shank.
If you suck at golf, then at least you can get drunk while at the course and have fun (This, of course, doesnt apply to archery[8D]).
A hole in one=a robin hood. I have had two of both in my lifetime.
You can kill an animal with both (Got myself a groundhog with my driver once...perfect shot to the skull)
Both can be spectator sports, and both you can feel intense pressure when the competition gets warm.
Both are really freaking expensive, though I always spend more money on archery.
Both require a lot form and practice, of course, someone always gets lucky.
Both have professionals that can teach you something, but, are more often just interested in taking your money and seeing you again next week.
And the list goes on and on....
Old 04-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can always combine the two and play archery golf. Bob Wesley was very big into it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_11348_play-archery-golf.html

Old 04-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was speaking of relating the two, I was speaking more of why he relates archery equipment to golf equipment.....

Notthe fundamentals of the two games.
[/align]
Old 04-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that sounds like something that would make golf interesting to me.
The closest I've ever come to a round of golf is watching golfers from my bass boat. I did get a round of applause from one group that watched me land a 9.5 pounder just off a green.
Even though I've never golfed, GMMAT, your comparisons make perfect sense to me.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Buckeye.....

I wasn't saying what I said to make anyone look bad. I KNOW why you asked.....and it was a fair question.

The SAME principle applies to equipment. Golfers AND archers are VERY choosy. VERY opinionated.....and EACH group demands particular things from their setups.

Your initial question was NOT unfounded. I didn't mean to imply such. It just got me to thinking about all the similarities in the two.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are speaking of "training" ... repeating actions to obtain a desired effect ...it's that way with everything sport related .... also Police, EMTs, Firemen ..etc..... there is not a closer correlation to bow shooting and golfing that anything else that requires training ..
Old 04-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Good point, PT. Conceded.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any golfers out there.....interesting wuestions?

Archery is a sport and requires a lot of the same kind of practice, dedication, and committment. The only sport I've ever practiced more at than archery is golf, not football, not basketball(the other two I played a bit). Golf and archeryare much more technicalthan those sports IMO(not talking about play calling oranything like that just the individual physical and mental part). I wouldsay that I seea common ground between archery and golf. I didn't want to comment on the other thread (it was more fun just reading that one) but I knew what you meant. When I was developing into a better golfer I got withthe local proshop and an instructor to help me try to reachthe next level of playing (next level for me). I went tothose guys because they are the experts, there are a million guys on a golf course or driving range that can tell you eveything you are doing wrong and what you need to use as far as equipment but are they themostqualified? No. The guys that are pros and a lot ofthe ones that work in the shops are, and after going and having them analyze eveything and fit me to my new set of clubs(switched froma beginner/intermediate set to some T-Zoid irons)and practicing on thethings they noticed I could improve on I had immediate improvement and continue to improve. I had basically become better than my old set of clubs and the new ones were fitted to me. Theywere an extra inch long and just fit me better, the increased shaft stiffness helped me a lot because of my swing speed,not to mention the fact that having more ofa blade style ironincreased myability to maneuver the golf ball. Now a lot of that I might have eventually learned but they flattened out my learning curve so to speak. I still only play for fun and I am definitely no pro but canshoot in the low 80's consistently and have broke into the 70's on several outings and I don't think I would be doing that without their help. Sorry, I can never keep my replies short.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Any golfers out there.....interesting wuestions?

When I was developing into a better golfer I got withthe local proshop and an instructor to help me try to reachthe next level of playing (next level for me). I went tothose guys because they are the experts, there are a million guys on a golf course or driving range that can tell you eveything you are doing wrong and what you need to use as far as equipment but are they themostqualified? No. The guys that are pros and a lot ofthe ones that work in the shops are, and after going and having them analyze eveything and fit me to my new set of clubs(switched froma beginner/intermediate set to some T-Zoid irons)and practicing on thethings they noticed I could improve on I had immediate improvement and continue to improve.
NEW...

WOW! This is all I've been saying ALL ALONG (on the other thread). I'm happy you got the improvement you were after.

I went from hitting standard clubs to being fitted by a fitting professional (though, at the time, I WAS a "teaching" professional). I switched to 2 deg. upright irons....jacked my lofts on my scoring irons a degree.....increased shaft length by 1/2"......and went up in swingweight .6 on my woods (hey...I DID keep a standard grip!). I went from a .6 to a +2.3 in the following 6 months.

Your story is one I've heard 1,000 times. I'm glad you found the right people to seek advice from.

Quick Reply: Any golfers out there.....interesting questions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.