Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Killing"

Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Killing"

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Killer .... WOW! .... and I thought you were kidding in another post when you said you wanted to wound a deer, chase it down, and kill it with your bare hands.....I'm glad we live in different states ..LOL [8D]
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hey Killer......

You DO know that most serial killers start out killing the family pet in their teens, ........don't you????

I'm just kidding. Good story.
PreacherTony & GMMAT,
I know your posts are humorous and out of fun, and I don’t mind them, at all, but I’d like to respond, that I have no desire to hurt humans, at all. Further, my story/feelings on this subject are not meant to promote manliness, or to allude to a tough-guy self-image. I simply find my emotions on hunting at odds, and very strong. I also feel as though many share my feelings, or their own version of them, but because of social pressures or the fear of being taken the wrong way, their feelings aren’t shared, or perhaps even realized.
Some may not agree with my opinions/feelings on this topic, and may even be upset by them, or feel that they’re inappropriate, but I think that this is probably the best place for people like us to share these ideals with one another. Like GMMAT said “There are no wrong answers”, and I’d like to add; as long as we’re honest with each other, as well as ourselves.
Respectfully,
KP

Old 03-17-2007, 05:19 PM

i agree

Old 03-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Killer .... WOW! .... and I thought you were kidding in another post when you said you wanted to wound a deer, chase it down, and kill it with your bare hands.....I'm glad we live in different states ..LOL [8D]

Hey Killer......

You DO know that most serial killers start out killing the family pet in their teens, ........don't you????

I'm just kidding. Good story.
PreacherTony & GMMAT,
I know your posts are humorous and out of fun, and I don’t mind them, at all, but I’d like to respond, that I have no desire to hurt humans, at all. Further, my story/feelings on this subject are not meant to promote manliness, or to allude to a tough-guy self-image. I simply find my emotions on hunting at odds, and very strong. I also feel as though many share my feelings, or their own version of them, but because of social pressures or the fear of being taken the wrong way, their feelings aren’t shared, or perhaps even realized.
Some may not agree with my opinions/feelings on this topic, and may even be upset by them, or feel that they’re inappropriate, but I think that this is probably the best place for people like us to share these ideals with one another. Like GMMAT said “There are no wrong answers”, and I’d like to add; as long as we’re honest with each other, as well as ourselves.
Respectfully,
KP
Killer, I have to tell ya .... I appreciate your posts as much, if not more than most, and there is no doubt in my mind that you are sincere .... I also appreciate your humor .... I could not agree with you more!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Good thread... I don't want to let it die yet lol.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Northwind~

I guess it is extremely difficult to put suchdeep rooted, abstract emotional feelings that are elements of the hunt into concrete words. We don't really have the words to describe those feelings, and no words couldever do them justice. But I guess we try to put those feelings into words anyway so that others may have a better understanding of why we hunt, and perhaps, so we can learn some things about ourselves and why we hunt. I believe that the kill is a very important element to the hunt, an ultimategoal that every hunter seeks for the rush, the excitement, the instinctive drive, the torrent of strange and conflicting emotions, the touch of remorse, the feeling of respect, the thankfulness,the sense of accomplishment and a deep rooted positive feeling (I would not call it joy) that we feel as a result of that moment where everything comes together. In that moment, something very special happens, something very intense and meaningful. In that moment an animal dies, and part of its life becomes part of the hunter who saw its final moments and took its life. The cycle of life comes full circle, for out of the death of that animal the energy for new life springs. The body of that animal ultimately serves as sustenance for the hunter, and other things get a share of whats left. But these special feelings do not result solely from killing. In order to feel those emotions resulting from the kill, the other elements of the hunt are necessary. It is the kill resulting from the hunt that we seek. So I suppose it could be said that we hunt to feel the rush of emotions resulting from the kill, and we kill to have truly hunted.
Then don't "kill" it!

Great post Northwind, I agree, the two (hunting/killing) go hand in hand, and neither are complete without the other. If not, killing deer at a slaughterhouse would have the same effect.
This reminds me of a concept called "the spiritual significance of beauty". Example; If beauty were not significant to our spiritual well being, sitting under a heat lamp in the garage with your feet in a bucket of sand with an ocean wave CD playing the background, would provide us with the same level of enjoyment as being at the beach.

KP
Old 03-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

KP....I have NO issues with your responses. None. I applaud them.

And yes.....my post was in jest.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

I enjoy the hunt, not the killing, the killing is the worst part about hunting, but i love the great food afterwards.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

to me a big part of the experience is the predator feeling. IE the rush you get right before & after the shot. Therefore I enjoy the kill, but also enjoy all of the other things that are involved...

If you dont enjoy killing then how can you be a hunter at all??? Every hunter has to enjoy the kill somewhat IMO, or else the guilt would be more than they could bear.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:35 AM

"The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the descendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter." - Finn Aagard

I posted this quote in another thread .....and I didn't want to hijack that one with this question:

Do you enjoy the "Killing" part of hunting? I promise you....there's NO WRONG ANSWER to this......as I'm just curious.

I'll go on record as saying I agree with Mr. Aagard. The actual "killing" gives me no pleasure. I enjoy the experience.
Im with you on this one. No matter what animal, I always feel a little pang of sympathy when I assess that it is indeed dead. Then I remember my venison stew, and I get to work.
Death is part of life, and life is created in death. It is the way of things, and the way it must be.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I enjoy the killing somewhat i just dont think its the best thing about the hunt. But i love that rush i get just before i draw my bow, this year i was so excited to shoot my doe that i couldnt pick out my 20 pin and i just put the first pin i could find on the bow, it ended up to be the 40 pin, and i went right over her back.