HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "Killing"
Thread: "Killing"
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Killer_Primate
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Killing"

ORIGINAL: Northwind~

I guess it is extremely difficult to put suchdeep rooted, abstract emotional feelings that are elements of the hunt into concrete words. We don't really have the words to describe those feelings, and no words couldever do them justice. But I guess we try to put those feelings into words anyway so that others may have a better understanding of why we hunt, and perhaps, so we can learn some things about ourselves and why we hunt. I believe that the kill is a very important element to the hunt, an ultimategoal that every hunter seeks for the rush, the excitement, the instinctive drive, the torrent of strange and conflicting emotions, the touch of remorse, the feeling of respect, the thankfulness,the sense of accomplishment and a deep rooted positive feeling (I would not call it joy) that we feel as a result of that moment where everything comes together. In that moment, something very special happens, something very intense and meaningful. In that moment an animal dies, and part of its life becomes part of the hunter who saw its final moments and took its life. The cycle of life comes full circle, for out of the death of that animal the energy for new life springs. The body of that animal ultimately serves as sustenance for the hunter, and other things get a share of whats left. But these special feelings do not result solely from killing. In order to feel those emotions resulting from the kill, the other elements of the hunt are necessary. It is the kill resulting from the hunt that we seek. So I suppose it could be said that we hunt to feel the rush of emotions resulting from the kill, and we kill to have truly hunted.
Then don't "kill" it!

Great post Northwind, I agree, the two (hunting/killing) go hand in hand, and neither are complete without the other. If not, killing deer at a slaughterhouse would have the same effect.
This reminds me of a concept called "the spiritual significance of beauty". Example; If beauty were not significant to our spiritual well being, sitting under a heat lamp in the garage with your feet in a bucket of sand with an ocean wave CD playing the background, would provide us with the same level of enjoyment as being at the beach.

KP