Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The dominant buck question? >

The dominant buck question?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The dominant buck question?

Old 03-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The dominant buck question?

You as a hunter what do you think that the mostcontrolling factors are of being a dominant buck. How far do you think that he may travel during the rut season in idea weather to find does.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Default RE: The dominant buck question?

deer in the rut are known to travel to about 5 miles in no time.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that a dominant buck is most likely determined by body size an age an how long he has been in the area earning respect.I think they dotravel a good ways I have saw thesame bucks on another stand about 1 1/2 miles away.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Age, size and ATTITUDE.
Travel distance probably is controlled mostly by the buck to doe ratio and total numbers of deer in the area.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

The dominant buck is most likely going to be a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old buck with a bad attitude. I used to think rack size might determin it until I seen a one horn buck kicking the crap out of a big twelve. Sure some bucks will do alot of traveling but I find that they have a core area that they tend to. If there a 6 to 10 does in that area, that would keep a buck pretty busy throughout the rut. I notice that they spend about three days following right on the tail of a doe before she lets him do the deed. Multiply that 3 by 10 and you got the rut pretty well covered. Now if the doe count is low than a buck will travel until he finds more hot does. Usually the bucks I see that are roaming around are not dominant ones but ones that have been chased off.(beat up.) These could still be really big bucks if there are alot of mature bucks in the area. Just my 2 cents but you might as well mark it down as gospel.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post MOTOWNHONKEYMy feelings exactly.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

The dominant buck is most likely going to be a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old buck with a bad attitude. I used to think rack size might determin it until I seen a one horn buck kicking the crap out of a big twelve. Sure some bucks will do alot of traveling but I find that they have a core area that they tend to. If there a 6 to 10 does in that area, that would keep a buck pretty busy throughout the rut. I notice that they spend about three days following right on the tail of a doe before she lets him do the deed. Multiply that 3 by 10 and you got the rut pretty well covered. Now if the doe count is low than a buck will travel until he finds more hot does. Usually the bucks I see that are roaming around are not dominant ones but ones that have been chased off.(beat up.) These could still be really big bucks if there are alot of mature bucks in the area. Just my 2 cents but you might as well mark it down as gospel.
That is gospel! Haliluah!!

Usually the most dominant buck is a big, muscular, thick horned brute of an 8 pointer. I've seen it a few times.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being a dominant buck all depends on age, aggresiveness, and body size can have some to do with it. As far as travel distance it all depends on the area, if he has enough doe's in the area he probaly wont leave. He can just stand his ground run all the other bucks off and have the doe's to himself. If there arent many doe's in the area he will travel as far as it takes to find one willing to breed. During the rut there are so many bucks comeing and going off a piece of property it can be hard to tell if one is THE DOMINANT BUCK of the area or just a passer by.