HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The dominant buck question?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
GregH
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: The dominant buck question?

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

The dominant buck is most likely going to be a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old buck with a bad attitude. I used to think rack size might determin it until I seen a one horn buck kicking the crap out of a big twelve. Sure some bucks will do alot of traveling but I find that they have a core area that they tend to. If there a 6 to 10 does in that area, that would keep a buck pretty busy throughout the rut. I notice that they spend about three days following right on the tail of a doe before she lets him do the deed. Multiply that 3 by 10 and you got the rut pretty well covered. Now if the doe count is low than a buck will travel until he finds more hot does. Usually the bucks I see that are roaming around are not dominant ones but ones that have been chased off.(beat up.) These could still be really big bucks if there are alot of mature bucks in the area. Just my 2 cents but you might as well mark it down as gospel.
That is gospel! Haliluah!!

Usually the most dominant buck is a big, muscular, thick horned brute of an 8 pointer. I've seen it a few times.