Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Dominant buck....What happens? >

The Dominant buck....What happens?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Dominant buck....What happens?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default The Dominant buck....What happens?

I took (from what I've witnessed) what I think to be the dominant buck from my deer herd, ysterday. I know my friend Chris (MOTOWNHONKEY) was talking with someone (GregH?) about what this might do to the herd dynamics. If you guys see this....or if any of you other guys care to add your thoughts (We have WAY too many successful mature buck hunters in here to name them all.....I just was intrigued to hear about this, a while back)...I'd love to hear what you think may occur with other bucks in the area. Will a new guy try to move in? Will a subordinate step up? How long before everybody realizes he's "gone"? What about breeding?

This intrigues me a LOT. I'd love to learn about what really occurs when he's no longer there.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Dominant buck....What happens?

First off, his scent will now be gone from the woods. Deer individualize other deer by smell, not by sight. Like with a dog thats king of the neighborhood until he gets hit by a car. You're buck or say the buck I killed offof a particularmountain acouple weeksago could both be the dominate in the area. Or at least one of the breeder bucks.

Sometimes the biggest boy with the biggest rack isnt the dominate breeder either...

Jeff, what I have seen when I take abig buck out of an area, and I have taken the biggest/oldestbuck on a mountain that I knew of ..........off of it 4 different times. In little time, especially if the rut is still coming,at least one otherbig matuebuck will move in on the does the big breeder had been tending too in the past. New contenders are always trying to get a piece of the action anyway...so yes a new buck will move in...if there is on in smelling distance of those does...Will they stay there and live right were your big buck died...after they breed the does in there, I doubt it since they probably have a nice little safe haven they already call home. On the other hand, by the following summers after I have killed amature buck off of a core feeding/bedding area. I ALWAYS see a new big buck that has moved into where my killed bucks had once eaten and spent a lot of time in the summers. I rarely find NEW big buck sheds though in a recent BIG BUCKs that I killed core areas that first winter right after..hardly ever....not until a full year has passed..does that make sense...?...I have never had a spot go dry from taking a dominate buck off of it either..by the next season at least one big boys moves in or at least a 3.5 year old shows up.... one that has the looks to be a contender for upcomingbreeding.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Shed:

I really never see bucks until after the Summer feeding patterns are well over and they're on the mast crops. Or.....I never really see bucks until the seeking phase. I've always attributed that to the food.....but who knows. I know they frequent my mineral site......but other than that.....I hardly EVER see a buck of ANY age in my woods.

I'm just intrigued to know what happens when any buck is taken out of the herd......and especially intrigued when the potnetial (or actual) dominant buck is removed.

Thanks for your reply, Troy. "Maybe" all of this info. will come in handy in my future hunting endeavors.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Shed:

I really never see bucks until after the Summer feeding patterns are well over and they're on the mast crops. Or.....I never really see bucks until the seeking phase. I've always attributed that to the food.....but who knows. I know they frequent my mineral site......but other than that.....I hardly EVER see a buck of ANY age in my woods.

I'm just intrigued to know what happens when any buck is taken out of the herd......and especially intrigued when the potnetial (or actual) dominant buck is removed.

Thanks for your reply, Troy. "Maybe" all of this info. will come in handy in my future hunting endeavors.
Jeff I think you can contribute not seeing any/many bucks in your area until later on in the year to the summer vs. winter "home" area. (Good news for you since hunting season is during their "winter".)

Deer will have a primary summer home and also a primary winter home. Sounds like you have the winter home tied up.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I witnessed some dominance activity lastnight as well. I wasnt in the stand for more than 20 minutes when all of a sudden I had a buck run past me. An average 6 pointer, he went north all of a sudden I heard a battle, no more than 45 seconds the big 10 pointer chased out the average 6 and he walks away while the big 10 heads back to his territory. A shortwhile after I heard another battle and again the 10 pointer chases out another smaller buck. Again, shortwhile after that, i hear another battle, and this time the 10 pointer follows the big 8 or 9 pointer to a small clearing about 45-50 yards from me and a battle proceeds. They fought back and forth for a good 20 minutes off and on untill the bnig 8 got the best of the big 10. Meanwhile this is all going on, I had a small yearling right out infront of me the entire time, she wasnt bothered or interested one bit in the battle of dominance. I had intended on taking pictures and posting them but dumbbutt me left the camera in my car. Im not sure if I would have been able to take any anyways I was so caught up in the moment and was so intriegued with the battle of dominance. I have never seen such a show with my own eyes like this that hasnt been on tv or video. I guess it just goes to show that the bigger the antlers the harder they fall. That nice 8-9 pointer litterly lifted the brute of a 10 right up in the air and kinda tossed him aside like a rag doll. . Im hoping that both of these bucks will be around on the 17th becasue I have some federal fusions that have their names on them. .
Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Keith (farm)....

If that's true.....I sure didn't know that. I always thought they had ONE home range. I'd like to hear more about this. I guess you're saying they "range" where the food is. Is this something I should have known??...lol

I knew they showed up here about now.....but just thought they were ranging further and further from their bedding areas to feed.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you mean now, as in November, This is very similar to where I hunt. I seea lot of does all year long but rarely a buck. Many does bed on the property I hunt and right about this time the bucks show up! It's the rut! They're out trolling for the does. I suspect your property is in a similar situation.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know that whereI hunt up around Sauratown Mountain that the deer range up on the mountain all spring/summer long and when autumn nears they move down towards the foothills (more food). By the time mid Nov rolls around they are at my stand and remain there until the spring.I've noticed this is true in all of the areas I hunt unless food, water, and shelter are plentify year round, then they stay within that area year round. Deer migrate by nature anyway.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I don't understand what the mystery is. A buck will take over, maybe a subordinate, maybe someone from fringe property.

If that second buck in your trail-cam pic is a local, which I believe he is, since it was a summer picture. He may very well be the dominant buck and the "Bull" was just hanging on his coat-tails.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Check the date. That photo was from '06. That buck has never been sighted. I saw the buck I killed last year WITH the buck I killed this year...and there was NO question who was the dominant buck of the two.

No real "mystery"? I'm just betting there's more to it than just......"another buck takes over".

Quick Reply: The Dominant buck....What happens?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.