Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Dominant Buck Lure >

Dominant Buck Lure

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dominant Buck Lure

Old 11-15-2002, 07:05 PM

Default Dominant Buck Lure

I am in my fourth year of hunting, and have taken 3 respectable buck so far(this years not over yet for me). I want to start shooting bigger buck, and that brings me to my problem. I want to shoot a good buck, but not necesary the dominant buck from my area(just somethin worth puttin on the wall). Will a dominant buck lure scare away these lesser bucks that I hope to take, will they ignore it, or will it attrack sub-dominant bucks also. Thanks guys.

Shots that are True....Pass right Through!!!
Old 11-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dominant Buck Lure

I have taken alot of deer with a bow, about 65 to be exact not counting the two deer I took so far this season. I have taken two in the last several years that were wall hangers, one of which was this year on opening day. This is what I have found over the past several years of hunting with scents. I used to use doe in heat scents ,years ago, but found that some mature does would back off an area if the caoght wind of it, smaller bucks would flock to it. I found that using Dom. Buck Urine, with a touch of tarsal gland scent would bring in the scrub bucks, the mid-range bucks and the Dom Bucks. Mature does do not take offence to the scent either, they will come right into it. The doe in heat theory is that it is a respect type situation for other does, that when a does is actually ready to breed, (24 hour period) she will wander off from the rest of the herd to be "found" by a willing buck, the other does will "respect" this leaving of the herd and "give her space". I think that the best bet for you is try it. I will either hunt with it or with nothing at all. Hope this helps ya.

Hunting ; an act of love for nature guided by the strongest spiritual forces.
http://www.adventuresoutdoors.freehomepage.com/
Old 11-16-2002, 01:21 PM

Default RE: Dominant Buck Lure

My experince has differed from Ben's. I stopped using dominate buck urine becouse doe's would alway's, alway's run away and I could never get a smaller buck to come into to it either. I never had any " wall hanger's" come into it so I can't comment on that. I prefer to use doe in heat and some tarsal gland scent's. The only bad response I ever had with doe in heat was I have had a doe kinda act funny around but I have never had one run away or snort at it. It alway's draws the buck's in and I have NEVER had a buck do any thing but come to inspect the doe in heat. So that's what I use but I suggest you try every thing and see what work's. You have seen right here how differnt people have differnt experinces with differnt scent. Good luck and hopefuly you will find out what work's best in your area.