Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Killed the dominant buck, now what? >

Killed the dominant buck, now what?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Killed the dominant buck, now what?

Old 11-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Killed the dominant buck, now what?

There is a valley of thick pines where a lot of them bed that is about 300 yds long and 50 yds wide. Through the middle is a trail with rubs along it. I have seen many does in there, but last weekend called out a buck and shot it.

My question is, how long before another buck will take its place, and start travelling where the other one did? It is just getting into the rut, so it shouldnt be long, right? Also, when another one comes, it will probably not have as many points, right?
Old 11-13-2003, 10:21 AM
jec

Default RE: Killed the dominant buck, now what?

Well, I shot an 8 last year on a Saturday morning and on Sun. morning got a 5 point first thing that morning at daylight from the same stand. They were in full rut, both came right in to that primos call in a can and grunting and both were in the exact same spot about 10 yards away going from 1 thicket to the next.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:28 AM

killed a nice 8 pt two and a half weeks ago, five days later killed this deer in Georgia out of the same stand, so what you are thinking is wrong, stay where you are especially if there are alot of does around

Old 11-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hours/minutes/seconds point is very quickly!!!! If ladies are around, bed is near, concealed travel routes, etc there will be many bucks roaming and while you killed a dominant buck that is not say their isn' t a same size or bigger bucks still running the area. During the rut bucks put on miles and can move in to an area in a blink of an eye, last fall we took 3 mature bucks within a 1000 yard radius-all 3 were rattled out and we saw several other bucks (not all mature but still roaming) the chase phase was on and they were cruising hard looking for love.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:17 PM

Well said Skeeter!
Old 11-13-2003, 02:23 PM

Well said Skeeter!
Right on!! stay put..--more are sure to be there..Enjoy
Old 11-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a 215 lb 9 pt and the next weekend had a very big 8 pt walk right under the same stand. Also saw three 1 1/2 yr old bucks from the same stand. I am not really counting on another big one taking over the area. That isn' t very realistic.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:01 PM

dont worry about that... we have some hunting land up north and every year we get 2 to 3, 8 to 12 point bucks. The point is is that deer travel all night... their nocternal. And in the fall when theirs that sex urge they move even more. What im trying to get at is that there probably a nother big buck already there. Dont worry, be happy