Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practicing with Broadheads >

Practicing with Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practicing with Broadheads

Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Practicing with Broadheads

I use seperate heads for practice.
I shoot 3 blade Rocky Mountain Ironheads & fix all my heads with new blades just b/4 the hunt. If they are in the quiver a long time I check them & may touch up if I feel they are getting dull. I AM very fussy on wheather my heads are sharp or not.
If you hunt with what you practice with I would replace all the blades (just my way).
Old 02-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Good point. Never thought of that. I think I'm okay since my quiver keeps all of the BHs apart from each other and they are not stuck in a chunck of foam, but it's worth taking a look at.

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Why would you change a blade that has never been shot?
Corrosion, wear (in and out of the quiver) and abuse (banging around, depending on your quiver) all act on them. Test an unshot blade from last year against a new one and I think you'll see a difference.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:17 PM

I shoot slick trick heads. I usually buy 9, set three aside for practice and never use those I practice with in the woods. They are tough heads, and I can usually practice with three forever, but me being as anal as I am, I even change my practice heads every year. Once a head has been shoot, I tend not to use it again for hunting. I'll take advantage of as much sharpness as I can get.