HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Practicing with Broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/180444-practicing-broadheads.html)

DTK70 02-13-2007 08:08 PM

Practicing with Broadheads

How much can yoou shoot a broadhead into a target (one that is made for broadheads) before they need to be sharpened before hunting with them. I am talking about a 100 gr. 3 blade muzzy

Dubbya 02-13-2007 08:12 PM

RE: Practicing with Broadheads

Personally, I would always sharpen the blades before hunting with them if you shot a target at all. Muzzy's blades don't hold an edge as long as some blades will. I sharpen or replace my blades if I shoot them at all into the target.

GForce 02-13-2007 08:13 PM

I shoot Muzzy 100 grain, 4 blade broadheads w/ practice blades. I see no appreciable difference in the point of impact with the practice blades as compared to the real blades. Besides, the practice blades are easier on your target.

And you don't have to dull your broadhead blades!;)

popeandyoungchaser 02-13-2007 09:06 PM

I shoot the 3-blade 100 gr. Muzzy and i never hunt with blades that i have shot into a target. The replacement blades only cost 8 bucks or so, so why not shoot the laser sharp ones. Just my.02.:D

MichaelHunsucker 02-13-2007 09:08 PM

These guys pretty much said it. If you shoot it into a target i would sharpen it before hunting or just use practice blades.

Hiawatha 02-13-2007 09:23 PM

I only shoot broadheads here, in fact have never shot a field point in my life. I originally sacraficed one broadhead out of a pack and just shot that on all of my shafts. Now that i have taken a few animals i use them as practice broadheads. I personally will not hunt withhead that has been shot into an animal or a target b4, kind of a mind game i have. Want that baby spanky new and sharp enough to circumsise a fly.

gzg38b 02-13-2007 10:19 PM

I agree. Even once into a target is too many. Just buy an extra set of blades for practice only. Swap them out with fresh "virgin" blades before the hunt. Why take chances?

I always use the previous years hunting blades as practice blades and buy new blades every year for the real thing.

hunter9022 02-13-2007 10:53 PM

With muzzys, always use fresh blades. Even if you don't shoot them, if they've been in your quiver for a while during the season, you should probably change them out.

NavyDeerHunter 02-14-2007 06:02 AM

Why would you change a blade that has never been shot?

ORIGINAL: hunter9022

With muzzys, always use fresh blades. Even if you don't shoot them, if they've been in your quiver for a while during the season, you should probably change them out.

nodog 02-14-2007 06:33 AM

Once for me on deer or any larger animal. Let'r rip on smaller critters.