Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just a heads up

Old 02-13-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Just a heads up

While watching the Westminster dog show tonight, Pedigree kept running ads about dogs in shelters and how they would match all donations to the American Humane Society.
Sounded like a good thing. My wife and I love dogs and all 4 of ours are rescued dogs from shelters.
I was going to make a contribution but had thought I had heard something in the past about the American Humane Society being very "Anti hunter", well i checked out their website and here it is,
http://www.americanhumane.org/site/DocServer/apsstatements.pdf?docID=101
page 14
They are against trapping and allegedly only oppose "canned hunts" I do not believe that and think that once any legal means of hunting is banned they will move onto the next method "they" find objectionable.

I gave them nothing!
Instead, I used Pedigree's option of donating bags of food to an animal shelter of my choice. I donated 2 bags to our local shelter and Pedigree matches that, making it 4 bags of dog food. This will cost Pedigree money and not put any money in the hands of anti hunting orgs. The best part is I know where my donation went and it is for dog food to feed dogs that need help.

I know, mods, that this is not strictly bowhunting related but still felt I needed to post it for all to see and to see where their money might be going.
At the end of the dog show, they announced that 1.1 million dollars had been donated to the American Humane Society. I have to wonder, how much of that $ will be spent on helping dogs that need a home and how much will be used to further their agenda?
It is great marketing, pulling at the heart strings with their ads to raise money to outlaw hunting. Even almost, almost, got some money from me, an avid hunter to fund them.

Give to your local shelter, the dogs can use the help.
Do not give anything to the American Humane Society
They want to take away our hunting.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just a heads up

From their website:

American Humane
Animal Welfare Position Statement

Hunting and Trapping

American Humane strongly opposes any animal hunt in which the target animal is confined or tame, in which the hunter fires on an animal with a remotely controlled weapon, or which uses animal traps that cause indiscriminate and unnecessary suffering. These practices involve no sport or skill, are denounced by true hunters and outdoorsmen, and result in painful deaths to thousands of unsuspecting animals, many of whom have been tamed and are unafraid of humans. Any practices that result in slow or painful deaths or suffering are considered by American Humane to be inhumane and, therefore, unacceptable hunting activities.

Canned hunts
involve the release of animals into small, confined areas where they can be shot by paying hunters. This practice involves no sport and no skill on the part of the hunter. The animals victimized by canned hunting have no chance of escape and are often very tame. The customers of canned hunts pay a fee in order to slaughter docile creatures in a fenced-in area. Most true hunters scorn canned animal shootings as unfair and unsporting. Furthermore, canned hunts involve exotic animals that can present ecological and disease risks.

Internet hunting
allows "hunters" to track and shoot animals remotely, by way of a camera and rifle controlled by computer. At least one ranch in Texas is already conducting such remote hunts, and others may follow if laws prohibiting this practice are not enacted soon.

Steel-jaw leghold traps
utilize steel bands with sharp teeth that snap onto the limb of any animal that walks across them. Animals caught in such traps are generally not killed immediately; most either die of starvation or are killed by the hunter upon return to the trap. These traps are especially cruel because animals have been known to chew off their own paws and legs in order to escape. Moreover, steel-jaw leghold traps cannot differentiate between which types of animals they catch. The animals that are caught may be unwanted by the trapper, may be protected by hunting or endangered species laws, or may be a family pet.

I'm going to get beat up for this, but I actually agree with the American Humane Association on these points. They are talking about "canned" hunts using tame animals, internet hunting, and steel jaw leghold traps which I believe have been illegal for a long time. I've argued against canned hunts on this forum many times. And we all agree that shooting animals remotely via an internet link isn't a good idea. As far as trapping, they are only talking about steel jaw leghold traps which are illegal anyways. I don't think they are referring to the legal and ethical type of bowhunting for wild game that we all enjoy.

Also, we should be careful not to confuse the American Humane Association with the Humane Society of the United States. The HSUS is a much bigger threat, has millions of dollars, and has publicly stated its intent to end ALL types of hunting, not just "canned" hunts and internet hunts.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

i agree that they will move onto the next thing once they get rid of canned hunts.

as long as its legal, i have no problem with people hunting on premises that have high fences. that's their business, doesnt effect me at all, i wouldnt want to do one, but i'm not gonna attack people for hunting in game ranches.

i however strongly disagree with "internet hunting" and i believe that it was found illegal and was outlawed.... i believe.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

KoBear--
For the sake of discussion, lets say that they did allow the internet hunting...made it legal, would you stilldisagree with it or stay with your "as long as it's legal" line?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 AM

I too do not agree with "internet" hunting, if you could even call it hunting?

I also have never been on a canned hunt and do not think I ever would. Just not my thing.
I do not trap either.

My point is, that they are at the core, anti hunting/anti trapping.

Once people like the AHS get a toe hold, they do not ever stop.
Next, maybe, it would be bowhunting, since it does not result in instant death. They may include this in their "Any practices that result in slow or painful deaths or suffering are considered by American Humane to be inhumane and, therefore, unacceptable hunting activities."

Pretty hard to kill an animal without inflicting at least some pain? In their eyes that makes all of us guilty.

I only posted my original post to remind everyone to think of where their money, given to what is a great cause (helping shelter dogs) could end up. Being used against us.

Animal rights people seem to use the same tactics as anti gun ownership groups.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

As far as trapping, they are only talking about steel jaw leghold traps which are illegal anyways.
I'm not sure how to interpret their statement on trapping. Steel jaw leg hold traps are not illegal nor should they be. It is illegal to have teeth on the jaws of the trap as stated but steel jaws are not illegal. Anyone that has trapped would not want the teeth on the jaws anyway.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

just for arguements sake, i would disagree with "internet deer hunting" for the simple fact that too much can go wrong.

i can buy my internet licence then let my little nephew shoot it...

and:

and how are they supposed to move the cam to get a follow up shot if its necessary?

how about judging distance?

misfires?

how about if my internet connection isnt fast enough and when i THINK the deer is broadside, it has already moved and i click theshoot button?

i dunno. just doesnt seem right to me. doesnt seem like hunting. i for one am glad its not legal. if it was legal, it would fall into the same group as the canned hunts for me.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:19 PM

way worse than a canned hunt.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

I agree 100%. Just wanted to see where your line was for the "as long as it's legal" bit. I disagree with both canned hunts and internet hunts...both are way out of line IMO.

ORIGINAL: KoBear

just for arguements sake, i would disagree with "internet deer hunting" for the simple fact that too much can go wrong.

i can buy my internet licence then let my little nephew shoot it...

and:

and how are they supposed to move the cam to get a follow up shot if its necessary?

how about judging distance?

misfires?

how about if my internet connection isnt fast enough and when i THINK the deer is broadside, it has already moved and i click theshoot button?

i dunno. just doesnt seem right to me. doesnt seem like hunting. i for one am glad its not legal. if it was legal, it would fall into the same group as the canned hunts for me.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:25 PM

thanks for the heads up. I think that it will be better to just send dog food instead