Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do men change when they can't hunt? >

Do men change when they can't hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do men change when they can't hunt?

Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Do men change when they can't hunt?

I have been married to my 30 yr old husband for about 2 years now, were dating for5 years prior to that, so for a total of7 years. Every single fall he is all happy, physched and ecstatic about his hunting. Me? I'm all for it, I totally support his passion for it and love that he get's his " thing" to do and look forward to.( most, not if all the other wives I know piss and moan and complain about the husbands being away,) so w/ that you know I'm not ruining his enjoyment.
OK, to my point from January to about September he is the most unbearable son of b*tch to live with. He is an alcholic, drinks non- stop till about September and starts back up again in January.I ignore it... I work 40+ hrs a week, I still cook, cleane, and always have time to fullfill his every need in the bedroom. I don't go out and blow tons of money, nag, I haven't "lost" my looks since we started dating. WHAT THE HECK IS HIS PROBLEM???
I totally understand this is a pretty odd question for the bowhunting forum, but pls understand if I deceided to ask this question to the other women they would go all oprah on me. That to me isn't a "fair" answer to my question. I do read this forum often, ( I like to be educated about my husbands hobby) gives us something to talk about other then annoying female B.S. lol I do see how unbelievable knowledgable you all are, and seem to get to the point with every other question, I'm just hoping you can be that way with this one.
If I can get a "mans" view on this maybe I will understand this . I don't bring it up to him because I don't want to be a bother to him. so, No, I never talked to him abut it.
Is this like withdrawl from hunting for him?? Can I do anything to help him with his no hunting depression? or, is he insane and I should just leave him?
Thank you very much for your time.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:47 PM

Default RE: Do men change when they can't hunt?

ORIGINAL: islcqa96

from January to about September he is the most unbearable son of b*tch to live with. He is an alcholic, drinks non- stop till about September and starts back up again in January.I ignore it... I work 40+ hrs a week, I still cook, cleane, and always have time to fullfill his every need in the bedroom. I don't go out and blow tons of money, nag, I haven't "lost" my looks since we started dating. WHAT THE HECK IS HIS PROBLEM???
You are in the wrong place my dear (I mean that in MANY ways).

This is not something you are gonna solve in a bowhunting forum full of strangers.

Get some REAL help before it gets worse.

Good Luck
Old 01-10-2007, 11:08 PM

boredom?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 PM

Is this my wife talking? Well let me tell you my thought on this. I definately change once deer season has ended. Matter of fact I just talked to my wife about this. Is your husband a Gemini by chance? I'm one of those people who always has to have something going on in my life. If I don't have something going on I get bored and start thinking way to much. During deer season I have one thing on my mind, that is hunting. It's almost an obsession, actually according to my wife it is an obsession. So, once hunting ends each year it's almost dramatic. Kind of like getting the holiday or winter blues. The closer deer season gets the happier I get. Mainly because I know I will have something to do, something to look forward to. I used to be a drinker but only drink maybe once a month if that. Your husband is bored! I guarantee it, he probablly doesn't have any hobbies or too many friends aside from his hunting buddies. This person sounds like me, almost to a tee. Minus the drinking part. I hope this helps, you and your husband are not alone. I am sure if you talked to a shrink they probablly have some classification for this type of personality. I think many of hunters on here would agree that they have this same experience each year once the season ends.

Take Care.
270GameOver
Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe some of my insight will help. I'm 23 yrs old andALWAYS get depressed around the 2nd to 3rd week of January. Bow season is done, along with quail and pheasant season. This marks the endto the best 3.5 months of the year. But then time rolls toabout mid to late Feb. when shed antler season starts. I spend a whole month depressed/anxious to get back out there. Shed season lasts until late March....sometimes I'll look for antlers into April. Now, the weather is starting to get nice and I can do my summertime outdoor activities and I feel great....fishing, skiiing, rollerblades, bikes, family time with kids....(if you're married), etc, etc.

To me, it is a withdrawal from hunting. I won't deny it and I'm sure others on here feel the same way as I do. What are his other hobbies? More hunting/fishing related things? I'm sure that by now you know what they are. When the seasons are over, do things that you and him both like to do together. (I hope to hell, that I don't come off sounding like Dr. Phil...haha)
Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: islcqa96

from January to about September he is the most unbearable son of b*tch to live with. He is an alcholic, drinks non- stop till about September and starts back up again in January.I ignore it... I work 40+ hrs a week, I still cook, cleane, and always have time to fullfill his every need in the bedroom. I don't go out and blow tons of money, nag, I haven't "lost" my looks since we started dating. WHAT THE HECK IS HIS PROBLEM???
You are in the wrong place my dear (I mean that in MANY ways).

This is not something you are gonna solve in a bowhunting forum full of strangers.

Get some REAL help before it gets worse.

Good Luck
I think Atlas nailed it.

Sounds like deeper problems than what can be solved here,I agree....get real help soon.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

It does sound like a job for Dr. Phil. I myself enjoy all kinds of hobbies such as hunting, fishing, golfing, and pretty much everything else outdoors. My wife may say that I am a little too outdoorsy. She tells me that I find a hobby and almost become obsessed with it. She didn't say it in a really nice voice. Here I will let her tell you in her own words.

Please clear the floor for Mrs. Iowabob.

Nice...Hi its Mrs Iowa Bob. This is what I wake up to everyday...Him on this forum typing(pecking) away..its ok...Ten years ago my hubby proposed to me and then added.."I hunt, If you marry me, Thats not going to change. Don't ask me to" (I thought How bad can it be?? then said yes..obviously..) Well, not only does he hunt..but anything else that he can find to do outside...I have seen him mope around after hunting season...almost pathetic..Now, he moves on to his other hobbies. With the drinking??Thats a tough one...Maybe your hubby needs to find another sport/hobby. I know it saved my sanity!!!! Much as I Love him ... easier to love when hes happy!!!(Aren't we all?) Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only time off seasion blues hit me is when i dont get out enough durring seasion.I was living in the woods this seasion and i think im as happy its over as the deer are.Now i still go out,I just dont have to carry a bow or gun.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I agree with Atlas that you should get some "real" help I will offer an opinion.

It may be more of a seasonal depressional. When the daylight time gets less it has been proven to be pyschologically depressing to some folks. Now, the fact that he hunts or is active during the first phase of this seasonal depression keeps his mind occupied. Once he becomes inactive the depression sets in. Depression takes many forms, I'm not saying he sits around crying butdepression manifests itself in different ways, drinking, moody etc.

I wish you luck and I would be encouraged by your efforts and desire to reach-out and look for help.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:30 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

You need to talk to him about it !! Granted I miss bow season already but it doesn't drive me to drinking or being a bear all the time. I find other things to keep me happy. One of the things is spending more time with the wife and doing the things she likes.

Like iowabob85, I tend to findtheoutdoorseven in the off season. Just never could get enough of it. Golf though?? I live in a very rural setting though and the outdoors is just steps away from my house. I couldn't handle living in a big city. Been there and drinking seemed tobe the only thing for entertainment. I got out!!

You need tofind out his problem.From your post, I doubt he even knows he has one. Communication is the keyto a happymarriage. Use it!! Best of luck!!

Tim

Quick Reply: Do men change when they can't hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.