Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..?? >

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Old 12-21-2006, 08:31 PM

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

dwd, I agree with that statement....but to my original point, today's bows are made so well that there just isn't much noise anyway.....Not that it's a moot point, it certainly isn't .....Deer hear very, very well, no question. But let's face it.....My new Vectrix is .......80% quieter than my ProLine Riptide.....
Old 12-21-2006, 08:33 PM

And I honestly think they hear the arrow more than the bow.
You got that right, Mon Ami! You ever hear an arrow through the air....it....whistles....Those ACC's are awefully quiet though. Yes, I've heard them as compared to a less expensive carbon....The ACC was MUCH quieter in the air.....

Old 12-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are giving up forgiveness with those extreme speeds.

With your 33" bow,you might want to consider it.

I shoot 380 grainACC'sbut I am at 6.5 grain/lb. I always get passthroughs.I also shoot expandables.Rocket Steelheads but they are expandables.Maybe I need to quit shooting small deer.[]

Old 12-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whose talking aboutdeer Rob? I'm talking cape buffalo. They're fast, but not as fast as a whitetail. Again, I'm trying to give my arrow the best possibility of hitting exactly where I'm aiming and especially on those longer down range shots. I'll take those factions of a second whenever I can get them. I know my arrow will do the job when it hits the mark.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, I wouldn't blame the mechanicals. I use Hammerheads, 3 blades and a 2 " cut. Unless I hit the off side shoulder blade I get pass threws all the time. Now most of my shots have been 20 yds or less, so maybe that is something to consider. I shoot a 410 grain axis at around 285 fps. out of my switchback.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM

You are giving up forgiveness with those extreme speeds.
No, I really don't think so. This isn't extreme enough to matter that much....If we were talking 320+ or 330, oh hell yeah, absolutely.. But then again, how are we ever gonna get any better if we don't push ourselves, right?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tfox,

I think that depends on the individual.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Rob, I'm surprised that you say your last several deer you haven't had a pass through. I don't remember the last time i didn't have one. With todays equipment I think more are pass throughs than are not.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey mobowhuntr

Come back in a couple years and tell me the same thing.[8D]

This goes in the experience thread.

Rob,you should be able to blow through deer with 80 ft/lb's energy,even with a 2" mechanical.regardless of the weight of the arrow.You must have an arrow that is underspined or not tuned exactly right or something.

I hate posting that becauseI know you are experienced and KNOW what you are doing but I know too many people using 2" cut at 80 ft/lb and blowing through everything.

UNLESS the snypers just don't penetrate well compared to Rockets,which might very well be the case.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree David, I haven't thought about it until this thread but I haven't had a complete passthru in 5 bucks. Exit holes yes, arrow out of the deer, no...and I haven't shot a doe in those years.

Again, 381 grain arrow, 285 fps out of my Hoyt, 301 out of my Bowtech but again, the Bowtech buck was a spined animal.

Quick Reply: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.