Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..?? >

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Old 12-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

buckeye, so I am old feller and set in my ways? Yeah, I agree. I am just using my field experience, know what I have witnessed the last few years, and heard from talking with other archers. I am not a numbers cruncher and am not impressed with KE numbers. Heck, I have only had a bow chronographed one time in my life.

All in all its what works for each individual and some prefer more speed while others prefer more weight. As long as we as bowhunters get the job done is what counts. To each and everyone here, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Old 12-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob.that arrow could be your problem.

You are slightly weak at 285 fps.I am sure paper doesn't show it but penetration will,ESPECIALLY with a 2" expandable.

At 301 fps,it is way underspined.[]

Old 12-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I somehow get .....through reading this thread.....that a "complete pass-thru" has a somewhat "macho" overtone". I don't get it (and I don't get 'them"), either. Like Rob/PA....I didn't have a pass-thru on the first 4 deer I took with the bow, this season. The first I hit in the shoulder.....and got complete penetration of the arrow....but no complete pass. The second and third I pretty much stuck to the ground. The fourth was a great shot.....quartering away...that stuck in the opposite side shoulder. Fifth was my biggest deer....and first pass-thru.

I shoot a 475 grain arrow. I may switch to the 140 grain Montec next year. 490 grain arrow

IMO shoot the heaviest arrow you can, with todays bows speed is not a factor.

I am still shooting around 250 FPS

I am 11 for 11 with this setup, 9 were pass thrus. Two buried in the opposit shoulder.
I shoot my current arrow set-up based on this advice, only. I trust Gary in many realms.....and this is one of them. I was shooting my Switchback at 64#'s/29"DL to get the results, above. My Allegiance is @ 71#'s/29"DL.I have no idea what my fps is......but I know it's enough to get the job done.

Jeff
Old 12-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Gobblers, I don't think it's a macho overtone as much as trying to get an entrance and exit hole so you get the maximum blood on the ground. Shooting from elevated stands like most of us do, if you don't get an exit hole and because of the angle hit high on the deers body, blood can be quite skimpy at times without an exit hole. Also, if you have the set up to drive the arrow completely through most deer you know you've got enough momentum built up that you'll probably get through heavy bone if the shot isn't perfect andyou happen to hit the wrong spot. It doesn't mean you can't kill a deer without it, but you do improve your chances with the occasional marginal hit. A hole out the bottom means you usually don't have to wait for an animals chest cavity to fill before you get good blood flow. Not a macho thing at all, just a preference of most to get that punch through.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I somehow get .....through reading this thread.....that a "complete pass-thru" has a somewhat "macho" overtone". I don't get it (and I don't get 'them"), either. Like Rob/PA....I didn't have a pass-thru on the first 4 deer I took with the bow, this season. The first I hit in the shoulder.....and got complete penetration of the arrow....but no complete pass. The second and third I pretty much stuck to the ground. The fourth was a great shot.....quartering away...that stuck in the opposite side shoulder. Fifth was my biggest deer....and first pass-thru.

I shoot a 475 grain arrow. I may switch to the 140 grain Montec next year. 490 grain arrow

IMO shoot the heaviest arrow you can, with todays bows speed is not a factor.

I am still shooting around 250 FPS

I am 11 for 11 with this setup, 9 were pass thrus. Two buried in the opposit shoulder.
I shoot my current arrow set-up based on this advice, only. I trust Gary in many realms.....and this is one of them. I was shooting my Switchback at 64#'s/29"DL to get the results, above. My Allegiance is @ 71#'s/29"DL.I have no idea what my fps is......but I know it's enough to get the job done.

Jeff
If you think pass thrus are over rated you better rethink it.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

That may have sounded harsh, Dave.....but I DO think people regard a "complete pass-thru" with some "macho-ness" either for themselves or their bow. Call me a skeptic (and I mean no malice in this observation).

I ONLY know the deer I've tracked. I saw 2 deer die right below me, this season.....and the blood was unbelievable. Like I said....I pretty much stuck these 2 to the ground.....and I'm not really sure if it would have passed thru or not. I knocked them down (where they stood)......and put another arrow in them within seconds. The first buck I took had a very sparse blood trail for much of it......and the arrow had penetrated the off side shoulder (never found the BH end.....but the fletching end protruded the entrance wound when he left my set). The best shot I made all year .........there was NO blood trail (I saw this deer go down about 60 yds away). My best deer of /06 was a complete pass-thru.......and I was scared to death at the MINIMAL amount of blood I had to track him by. It was a perfect hit......but blood was extremely minimal. I was surprised to find him within 40 yds.

These conversations and these different aspects of the entire hunting "experience".......I find fascinating. I never thought tracking would be as much of an adventure as I've found it to be.

Jeff
Old 12-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I didn't say they were overrated, Motown (those are your words).

Jeff
Old 12-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I didn't say they were overrated, Motown (those are your words).

Jeff
10-4
Old 12-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Site Buck Guru

I like pass throughs, you shoot enough deer, and you'll see where the benifit comes in eventually. Holes can and do plug up. If you've only got one hole and that plugs up on a less than desirable hit, you'll wish you had a pass through.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

No greg that would be macho.

Quick Reply: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.