Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..?? >

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Tfox,

I think that depends on the individual.
No it doesn't,forgiveness is forgiveness.

Some may need more than others but the fact remains.

Throw that fixed head on there and give you a 7 mph cross wind and try at 30 yard shot and see what happens,Don't call me to help trackbecauseI am hunting.

Or lean out around a tree with a 33" bow @ 310 fpsand torque the grip a LITTLE and see what happens.You will wish you had a little forgiveness.[8D]

I you insist on that speed,then use mechanicals.Not saying fixed won't do it but the headaches aren't worth it.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gramps, I think arrows just don't penetrate as well as you get older...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

Gramps, I think arrows just don't penetrate as well as you get older...
Um....someone's gonna need some water to extinguish that burn......
Old 12-21-2006, 09:10 PM

TFOX, I don't intend to argue, I have ZERO doubt in my mind you are knowledgeable enough to know what you are talking about. This is what makes archery such an exciting sport..It is so personalized. I also agree w/ you...to a point. I know ENTIRELY too many folks who shoot just as good, and better than I who are shooting well into the 320's....

I am indeed using mechanical, Rocket Hammerheads. But I also have no doubt that my Stingers would work equally as well. We can "what if" this thing to absolute death. True. What if I have to make a twisting shot around a tree in a 30 mph crosswind? Good question, and my answer....Don't shoot. That's not a shot I'm gonna make on a good day, let alone a windy day.

Like I said, we can "what if" this thing till we fall over dead from exhaustion....you're right in what you are saying, no question...But that doens't necessarily make me wrong, either....And don't read anything into what I just wrote....I know you don't intend for me to understand that I am wrong...But I'm learning a lot out of this thread, which was it's intent.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can say for white tail I wouldn't be concerned very much, I use a weight of 520 grains on elk( almost all shots are within 15-17 yards). I have seen upwards of around 30 bulls killed with the bow, and have seen some bad results with lighter setups. Situations where the arrow ricocheted off the ribs and ended up angling back on a broadside shot. These bulls did die, but the blood trails were long.

80 lbs of KE with a 520 grain arrow is not the same as 80 lbs of KE with a lighter arrow. I don't know if bowsite.com still has the study that was done when coming up with a cape buffalo setup. But all tests showed that the hunter opted for an 820 grain arrow hitting with the same ke as an arrow hitting with half the weight and the same KE. Momentum is usually overlooked and is a great factor to good penetration. The lighter arrow even with the same KE, will give up the energy much quicker after the initial punch.

If your stuff is tried and true, then by all means use it. It will always be heavier for me.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fair enough Tfox. And yes, I believe some people need more foregiveness than others. I should have said the amount of forgiveness depends on the individual.

Mechanicals are all I use. Hunting elk above timberline with constant swirling winds educates you quickly on the use of fixed blades. Again, there are just too many variables in this sport to say this works best or that works better. Practice and first hand experience becomes priceless.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

mobowhuntr

I only said a 7 mph crosswind and I am not even the slightest bit scared of that shot.If it is 30mph,I am probably in bed next to the wife having NO yelled at me.[:@]

Is it experience,equipment,or setup.

It is a combination of all 3.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:28 PM

Sorry, my mistake.....don't know why I typed 30 mph wind......I get dyslexic when I get tired I guess....LOL....Having NO yelled ....that's funny...regretably, I understand.....[&:][&o]

Oh, and I got your pm regarding my arrow choice....What arrow, then, will be spined stiff enough at 68-70 pounds, and weigh in the 375 +/- a few category?

Old 12-22-2006, 01:23 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

No, sir. Take my set up for instance. I pull only 67 pounds, but I am producing 73 pounds of KE....that's something like.....113% I think....
You are comparing apples to oranges by comparing draw weight (lbs.)to Ke (ft.lbs).
What you do is make a draw force curve, record the draw wt. for every inch of draw, from brace (0 lbs) to full draw (center of the valley). Then you total the area under the curve ( potential energy or PE). This will be in inch lbs., so divide it by 12 for ft.lbs. Then you divide KE/PE and you'll have efficiency (%). Generally, you will have less KE than PE because nothing is 100% efficient due to losses to hesterisis (friction in the wheel bushings, resistance of arrow being pushed etc.).

Personally, I like to shoot fixed broadheads with fixed pins @ 275 fps. Broadheads fly very good at this speed and there is a suitable gap between the sight pins (not too crowded). To get the KE I'm looking for, I change the arrow weight and the draw weight. For me @ 64 lbs draw wt. with a 425 gr arrow I get 71 ft.lbs of KE. At 80 lbs draw wt. with a 525 gr arrow I get 88ft.lbs of KE.

Heavier arrows have more momentum, are harder to stop (more penetration). Bowling ball @ 2mph into a window or a ping pong ball @ 200mph into a window. Also, a stiffer arrow will penetrate better than a softer one because it will not scrub off as much energy while passing through an object. All arrows flex while traveling, when they contact the target, the stiff ones don't flex as much as the softer ones, therefore they penetrate better. This is hard to explain, but if you watch the slow motion videos of arrow flight, you'll see what I mean. I hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Germ

I shoot a 475 grain arrow. I may switch to the 140 grain Montec next year. 490 grain arrow

IMO shoot the heaviest arrow you can, with todays bows speed is not a factor.

I am still shooting around 250 FPS

I am 11 for 11 with this setup, 9 were pass thrus. Two buried in the opposit shoulder.
I'm with you on this one Germ, I am shooting 476 grain arrows (31.5 in Beman 340 ICS CamoHunters w/100grn Montecs)at 275fps and have had nothing but pass throughs.

I like a heavy arrow, as others have said, it's quieter to shoot, less strain on the bow and does the job but good!

Quick Reply: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.