Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5 >

5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

Old 12-15-2006, 04:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

I got to thinking, last night, how I've gotten so lucky in such a short time (and I DO realize how lucky I am). There are several factors that come into play....when you take up bowhunting when I did (40).

First of all.....I got into it at a time when I could afford whichever equipment I wanted. I have to think that's helped. I never lived through the (_________________insert name of crappy bow) era. I never bow hunted in jeans. I never hunted from the ground .....because I couldn't afford a treestand....or didn't think it was ethical to hunt from a perch.

I never hunted when taking does was taboo. My 4 wheeler has saved me several hundred yds of drag (though I can't use it in places, either). I never hunted when the internet wasn't a WORLD of knowledge....if you'd only utilize it. I never hunted when I didn't have the luxury of being able to take off work when I wanted to. I never hunted when my wife was B&$^&ing at me. I never had a small child that I felt guilty over spending time away from.

And lastly....I never hunted when I didn't have you guys and girls to learn from via osmosis........just hearing what you have to say. I've learned more since THIS season started......it's kind of unreal.

Everything I know......you guys/gals taught me....or are teaching me. I've also had the luxury of TV in the modern age. I can watch deer hunting almost at any time.

I also am 40........and gaining permission to hunt properties is easier than it would be for a younger man. I know this, too.

Yeah...I've been mildly successful....but I also had a little talk with myself to figure out "WHY". There are many reasons......but most of them are listed above. JUST like the man that goes and pays the outfitters.....I'm not that much different. I've just had the time and money to pay many people in different ways.

I've packed probably 5 or 10 yrs into 1.5......by havig the luxuries listed above. I also need to do my best to remember that.

Sincerely

Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 05:00 AM
Banned

Default RE: 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

I know what you are saying. When I started bowhunting 30 years ago there was no one in my family doing it, we were only allowed one deer of any sex with our bows, there was no bowhunting shows or videos to teach me how to do any of it, no compound bows, drop away arrow rests, fiber optic pins, releases, or commercial treestands, or freely handed out doe tags.I learned through trial and error and talking with buddies and reading mags. My boy at the age of 11 had an entire lifetime of what I know about archery, TV show bow hunting videos,top notch equipment, etc. His 1st day out in the deer stand I witnessed him get a complete pass thru heart shot at 20 yds on a big doe. Two weeks later I saw him do it again while I sat in a tree next to him. Too young to take the IA hunter safety course but legally able to shoot a deer with a bow and arrow; go figure.
I would say more like 10-20 years ahead Jeff compared to how a guy that is 44 like me and had to learn about bowhunting. Of course the only thing that helps you be successful over the average guy is your Enigma camo. My boy at 11 with his 1st deer.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cant say ive ever heard it put that way,but yea,i guess we all gain from each other in one way or another.I think we all want to think we are slicker than the next guy about woods savey but without a tip every now and then we would have to live in the woods to get where we are knowlage wise.The truely wise man realy knows nothing,but surrounds himself with those who do.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:16 AM

Nice pic HCH. Congratulations to him. I had a similar joy last saturday when I stood beside my dad as he took a deer after a 5yr dry spell (Not much time off from work). I could not have been happier if it was me myself. Perfect heart shot. The ol' man still has it.

Jeff, I agree with you. I have been bowhunting for 9 years. I started in college when some friends encouraged me. I had been shooting a bow since about age 8 but never archery hunted. I too have learned a TON from the people on this forum. And I keep learning things every day through our discussions here. A wise man once told me to never stop learning, and I try to live my life that way. People who know me say i'm full of all kinds of useless knowledge but it is because I just want to learn as much as I can about everything I can. Jeff i'm sure you've heard people talk about the different phases of a hunter, well I think you just entered another one of those phases with your post. Congratulations buddy.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent thread........
Old 12-15-2006, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I too started bowhuntingin the modern era..after a lifetime of gun hunting. I knew "hunting" and just had to learn the nuances of doing it with a bow. I picked up the shooting part very easily. My first bow was bought in 2002 I shot a nice 8 pt and won the Hunter"C" Class indoors.

I even got my Dad back into it. He couldn't believe how easy (easier) it had become from his recurve days shooting with fingers athaybalesby instinctand if you could hit a pie plate consistantly you were a pretty good shot.

Last year at 70 years oldhe won the senior division in our indoor league.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well Jeff, I'm 45 and last year was my 1st bowhunting. I too have been lucky although without some of the luxuries you mention. I can't afford a 4 wheeler and I've had to drag all 4 deer I have killed in the past 2 years, not to mention hogs. My age hasn't helped me gain permission to hunt. Here in Tx a checkbook gains permission. I have a daughter at home that will be 2 on Sunday, ( I can't wait for the party!). I have a wife that started getting antsy after 2 months of me being gone almost all day on weekends. So it is all a matter of perspective really. Age has helped me get more responsible so I can do more with better stuff however I did start with lesser, (I won't call it inferior), equipment. I made my first bow kill last year, a hog, with an Alpine bow I purchased new at Acadamy for $200. My wife shoots that bow now. I moved up to a Diamond. My brother in law introduced me to bowhunting although I have learned much more right here at HNI. Its rather ironic that I now can teach him some things. So the net is a luxury we share. Greg
Old 12-15-2006, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I've been doing this stuff for about 15 years, and when I have a question this is THE place to ask it, and get plenty of good answers. I have to say though, I learn a whole lot spending time in the woods, outof season,while NOT hunting, and just observing. I don't think there is a substitute for that. What I really miss are some of the old timers in my life, that taught me stuff along the way. Seems the old "Rancid Crabtree" is a dying breed...
Old 12-15-2006, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just wait. It only gets better![8D]
Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

SB,
Good post! You nailed this one. Most of my brothers had to start out with a recurve. I mean my dad was a great shot with a recurve but for most people shooting a recurve is hard. I was lucky enough to have a compound by the time I started hunting. So I think I had it much easier then thay did. Of course when we all got compounds more deer were taken. It's much easier to be a better shot now then it used to be. And with the internet information is much easier to come by.

MC Bowhunter

Quick Reply: 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.