Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5 >

5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

Old 12-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

SB,
I would like to see a picture of that turkey. My son killed one 2 years ago that was silver. My dad had a full mount done of it for him. It is a cool looking bird.

MC Bowhunter
Old 12-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

MC....that's all you'd ever get to see.....and it'll have to be alive for the photo (or die of natural causes). I live in a county that doesn't have an either-sex season. She's untouchable, for me.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Nothing wrong with that. I've done more hunting this year with my camera then my bow. That didn't fill the freezer though...LOL

MC
Old 12-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I started shooting in 91 and was fortunate enough to learn from my Dad. His shop was a block from the archery shop/range soI ended up hanging out there a lot after school. I didn't join this site til thisAugust but lurked for last 2 years and picked up a lot of invaluable information here as well.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 AM

I started hunting when I was 12 and no one in my family hunted. My mom wouldn't let me have a gun so bow was my only option. I had to learn everything by trial and error. I bow hunted for 5 years before I gun hunted. It took me a long time to get to the point I am at now. I kind of envy everyone that is starting now because of all resources you have that make the learning curve shorter. On the flip side though I wouldn't trade in all those tough years of screwing stuff up for anything. When I was a kid I couldn't wait until I could get a gun and join the orange army for gun season. Now I have lots of guns that sit in the case and collect dust, my bow is my best friend again.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started @ 30 yrs ago and i forgot,I forgot how much it hurt to hug a tree!Just for old times sake i used my old stand and i couldnt take it! I hurt so darn bad on my chest!I wont use that old widdow maker again.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

furgitter, I am glad someone else seems to remember those death traps. I remember one winter clammering up the tree and it was covered in ice. It was up 2 feet, down one, up two, down two and so on. Also went to set my feet one time, treestand slipped, and I slid down the tree until a stub of a branch i had sawed off broke my fall... and a rib. Had to climb the rest of the way down with one arm. Now I can sleep comfortably in my Summit
Old 12-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

excellent thread SB looks like you did some soul searching.

I to was one who came from a very tough learning curve in the world of bowhunting. No camo because my Dad thought it was senceless, a indian savage 45 lb recurve with full length aluminum over the counter arrows with bear razorheads. Dad would drop me off in the dark and come pic me up at set times. he would not allow me to build treestands so i just did still hunting and at the time there really was not many deer in the area and if you seen one you was the envy of all your buddys at school. And i remember the buck stop lure in grape, apple and cherry flavors. i used grape. man was i a dork[8D]
Old 12-15-2006, 06:53 PM

Default still on the left of the curve?

With gun season open here,I hadn't shot my compound in a while, so I took it out in the middle of the day today... and shot some of my best groups ever, surprisingly... however, what I was thinking the whole time was, I'll bet the HNI guys would get a good kick out of hearing the name of my bow... if any of them remember it... although modern compared to recurves and longbows, my "Hoyt/Easton Ram Hunter II" is certainly far from the latest in technology!!! More like a stick with squeaky wheels! However, you have to make due with what you have, and what I had when I bought it was $50 and a yardsale to go to... sooner or later, more money will come, along with faster arrows, sharper broadheads, tighter groups, and what matters- the same amount of fun I have now.

on another note, it was nice to fill the freezer today, my brother and i both took does within five minutes of each other 10 minutes after leaving the truck on a few short drives with the slugguns here in SE PA...

good post Jeff. another thing I would add about this forum is how positive everyone is to each other for the most part. I also fish offshore, and am part of a large forum dedicated to that. If you think we have negativity/disagreements here, try checking out that realm! One of my favorite things here is how uplifting and encouraging everyone is here!

Jon