HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 04:12 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

I got to thinking, last night, how I've gotten so lucky in such a short time (and I DO realize how lucky I am). There are several factors that come into play....when you take up bowhunting when I did (40).

First of all.....I got into it at a time when I could afford whichever equipment I wanted. I have to think that's helped. I never lived through the (_________________insert name of crappy bow) era. I never bow hunted in jeans. I never hunted from the ground .....because I couldn't afford a treestand....or didn't think it was ethical to hunt from a perch.

I never hunted when taking does was taboo. My 4 wheeler has saved me several hundred yds of drag (though I can't use it in places, either). I never hunted when the internet wasn't a WORLD of knowledge....if you'd only utilize it. I never hunted when I didn't have the luxury of being able to take off work when I wanted to. I never hunted when my wife was B&$^&ing at me. I never had a small child that I felt guilty over spending time away from.

And lastly....I never hunted when I didn't have you guys and girls to learn from via osmosis........just hearing what you have to say. I've learned more since THIS season started......it's kind of unreal.

Everything I know......you guys/gals taught me....or are teaching me. I've also had the luxury of TV in the modern age. I can watch deer hunting almost at any time.

I also am 40........and gaining permission to hunt properties is easier than it would be for a younger man. I know this, too.

Yeah...I've been mildly successful....but I also had a little talk with myself to figure out "WHY". There are many reasons......but most of them are listed above. JUST like the man that goes and pays the outfitters.....I'm not that much different. I've just had the time and money to pay many people in different ways.

I've packed probably 5 or 10 yrs into 1.5......by havig the luxuries listed above. I also need to do my best to remember that.

Sincerely

Jeff