Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5 >

5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

Old 12-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

I'm just giving credit where credit is due. I have spent over 40 days afield, this season, and I know its help me learn "my" herd better. I'll likely hunt less days, next year.....and do so more efficiently.

I appreciate all of your help....I really do.

Now...do I "call another shot", for tomorrow???....lol

Jeff

(I'm just kidding.......kinda)
Old 12-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now...do I "call another shot", for tomorrow???....lol
Why not? It worked the first time.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about the era where treestands were still new and you had to hug the tree with your upper body and pull you legs up with the stand strapped to them. There was no seat and you HAD to stand all day. The platform was about 12"X12" so you could barely move at all. That was when I hunted from about 10 feet above the ground because I was so small and weak (still am but probably not as bad). Still was a load of fun though and I look back on where equpment was and smile. My dad was bowhunting when there were no treestands at all. If you wanted to be in a tree you climbed it and sat on a limb. I would say that today's equipment doesn't necessarily make it easier (except for the bows they are definitely easier to shoot accurately), but it makes it more comfortable.

Hey, I still hunt in jeans sometimes so don't make fun The only two deer I have ever successfully stalked up on and killed I did so in jeans and a sweatshirt because I was just scouting with my bow at the time.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm down to a doe tag. That's fine. It has been an INCREDIBLE year....and if not for the doe population here....I'd sit tomorrow out. I need to take another one....and the meat's earmarked if I do. Though no one got the meat....a car helped me on the doe pop, Wednesday night. Coyotes gotta eat, too.

It may be the most fun hunting day of the year, for me, tomorrow. If I'm presented a shot....I'll take it.If not....I may take a few photos. I'm hoping to see some of the deer I talk about here (REALLY nice 1-1/2 yr old 8-pointer;Funky 4x1 or THE MAN). That would be cool to get a photo of either of them.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

An excellent thread SBG,

Here's where I started because I didn't have the luxury of the internet, this forum, educated bowhunters around me, treestands etc..etc everything you mentioned.

At 15 I had a Bear Black Bear II, plastic stick on shelf rest, fingers, 2117 GameGetter II's FULL LENGTH and 160 Grain Thunderheads, 3 5" Straight vanes, talk about underspined, out of tune and arrows flying everywhere. I didn't drive, I rode my bike. No one to teach me about tuning and everything else that has to go with a bow. I shot it instinctive and was getting good at hitting my mark when my arrows didn't fish tail. I shouldn't have been in the woods but what did I know? I didn't have anyone to tell me differently. I cringe when thinking back, I have experiences. I try to share so others don't make mine.

From that begining I've matured in bowhunting so when I answer questions it usually comes from a long line of painful failures.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

If not....I may take a few photos. I'm hoping to see some of the deer I talk about here (REALLY nice 1-1/2 yr old 8-pointer;Funky 4x1 or THE MAN). That would be cool to get a photo of either of them.

Jeff
And don't forget about the grey/white turkey.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I haven't seen that turkey in a few hunts......but I'v eseen plenty of her brothers and sisters.

Oh yeah.....after reading Dan's post....you can't have that deer, anymore.

So there.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 08:09 AM

I arrowed my first deer in 1991.... Seems like yesterday, but in fact it has been 15 yrs ago... Hard to believe time goes by that fast... I've made my share of mistakes, as most beginners do...I've learned some very tough lessons the hard way.. In the end, those experiences do make you a better hunter....
Old 12-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

You guys make bowhunting sound hard and tough, I am just a cherry picker

Nice post SB
Old 12-15-2006, 08:29 AM

I started early with virtually no help - school of hard knocks for me. Nothing like learning it the hard way - you definetly don't forget. Read all about it or stuff someone's stocking with it:

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~30043.aspx

Quick Reply: 5, maybe 10 years into 1.5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.