Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You just became head of the DNR >

You just became head of the DNR

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You just became head of the DNR

Old 12-07-2006, 11:05 AM

Default RE: You just became head of the DNR

Germ, you surely have a knack for creating MONSTER THREADS. I'll call it QTM. just pickin around!

Well here in TX I would:

1. Make it absolutely illeagal to have high fenced land containing/holding captivea white-tailed deer, or any other native American animal.

2. I would give a minimum $1000 bonus to game wardens for every deer poacher caught and PROVEN guilty.

3. I like the achery profiecency (sp?) test idea that SBG had.

4.For the first 10 years, I make it illegal to kill any buck deer that was not a "cull" buck. This would insure everyone would have huge racks on all mature deer after the ten years. Just wipe out all the "bad" genes. Sorry i had to.

4. seriously. Personal choice, no antler restrictions.

5. Setup regulations making it legalto traila wounded deer witha single, leasheddog. I hate it when someone loses a deer.

6. I'd stop using hunting/fishing tag revenues to fund anything that did not DIRECTLY benefit hunting and fishing. No more free rides for the bird watchers, campers, and backpackers.

7. I'd close down the stupidrainbow trout program in TX.[:@]

Old 12-07-2006, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

It's just me.....but I'd give up "A" buck tag....to harvest a better (1) BUCK. ESPECIALLY if they gave me another doe tag.

That's just me, though.

Jeff
I know this might sound backwards to some of you coming from me, but I'd do the same thing....for an extra doe. As long as I get a chance for a/any buck, I'm happy.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Without reading any posts except for Germs and this is for Illinois if I had unlimited control(of course that would be a fantasy because of budgets and legislators sticking their nose in where it don't belong):

1. More game wardens.
2. Stronger program, more publicity, and incentives for landowners to allow more access to their land.
3. Shorten the archery season.....specifically end of season on Dec. 31 as it used to be.
4. Go back to mandatory check in stations, not call in.
5. Stick to stiffer penalties for game law violations. I say this because recently two non-residents received fines equivilent to a speeding ticket for (1)non-specified deer permit violation (2) hunting without a hunting license[:-]
6. I would be more accessible to local law enforcement agencies.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

For Illinois I would....

1) Set a 3 point onONE side limit on all bucks
2) Movefirearmseason to:
First Season: 1st weekend after Thanksgiving (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Second Season: The following weekend (Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun)
Muzzleloader Season: The next weekend (Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun)
3) You can bowhunt during all firearm seasons
4) Back to the drive in check stations...no more of these cheap call in tags

Old 12-07-2006, 04:37 PM

ontario

-introduce a one week moose youth hunt, with supervision
-have a early august/september bowhunting season able to take 1 of either sex
-lengthen rifle/bow season from october 1st to december 20th
-hire more gws
-allowed 1 doe then then 1 buck(atleast 3 points on one side) during regular rifle/bow season
-on private land during rifle/bow season allowed only blaze hat
-try harder to introduce elk and caribou to ontario
-mandatory 3 year bow course
-bring back spring bear hunt
-allow magnum rimfire rifles for deer(think of the minors)
more to come
edit: -lifetime tags for deer, moose, bear, small game, game birds and fishing before 12: $450 after 12: $550
Old 12-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

wisconsin

Get all the anti hunters out of head dnr office possitions.

Start makeing laws for the hunters not against them (stop worry so much about the wolves and crains)

And finally get rid of the cwd crap killing all the deer like they want to do

Old 12-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Build a big freaking wall between Mich. and Ohio.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still don't get it, Sylvan. I say this with the UTMOST sincerity. WHY.....when people seem to be having a hard time finding mature animals.....would you want to be able to kill more bucks?
Thousands perhaps hundreds of thousands of hunters accross this country who hunt where taking more than one buck is legal (even some where it's not legal) do it for sure. There are probably as many specific reasons they do it as there are hunters. Assuming you've been around deer hunting and deer hunters for more than 20 minutes, I'm absolutely astonished that a smart fellow like you, in his wildest creative imagination, can't summon up even one explanation as to what might motivate them. Have you ever killed a nice whitetail buck? Do you do know what it feels like? Now I certainly can't speak for all the hunters out there, some obsessed to the point of having wet dreams over the prospect of driving an arrow through even a fork horn, but perhaps, just perhaps, they like it. Now of course "nice" is subjective and each hunter legitamately has his own version of it butperhaps only a day or so or maybe a week after they succeed in taking one, something inside them says "hey, that was great, I'd like to do that again!". Who knows for sure but why would you assume that desire would only arise once a year? If that's how it is for you, fine, but are you actually telling me that if you were to take a 180 class buck the first day of bow season, you'd have no desire to get back out there and try to do it again that season? You're not really saying that are you?

It's just me.....but I'd give up "A" buck tag....to harvest a better (1) BUCK. ESPECIALLY if they gave me another doe tag.
That's just me, though.
Well we're all different, with different wants and desires. In NY you can take 2 buck but not with the same weapon. Personally, I'd give up my gun tag if I could take 2 buck with the bow. But of course that's just me. Really SBGobblers, I think what you really don't understand is that your wants, desires and motivations as a deer hunter are no more legitimate than anybody elses. If you are going to be "head of the DNR" you need to get better at understanding other hunters. You don't have to agree with them, but at least have a clue!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: nodog

Build a big freaking wall between Mich. and Ohio.
nodog you're just a divider, I just want to bring hunters together

EDIT

And shoot Ohio's little deer, we all know there are no big deer in Ohio

Old 12-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I think I understand you perfectly Sylvan. In one thread you agree with the guy who says there are no mature bucks in his area.....because hunters around him won't let them walk....and he has NO INTENTIONS of letting them walk, either.

In another thread....you're commissioned to make changes to your states hunting regulations via the fact that you'r enow the head of said state's DNR. In your changes.....you'd like to implement a program that allows YOU and ALL of your state's hunters the ability to shoot 2 bucks.....then turn around and shoot 2 more bucks.....by virtue of the tags you bought for your wife.

All this.....and you want to belittle ME for being a fledgling deer hunter.

Let me tell you.....I can shoot FOUR bucks in my state. I won't do it. I'm not going to perpetuate the off kilter buck/doe ratio and then bemoan the fact that there aren't mature bucks in my woods.

Maybe when I've been hunting as long as you have.....that methodology will make sense to me. I guess I've got a lot to learn.

No. I guess I haven't taken a "trophy" whitetail (in many people's eyes). In my eyes I have. I've taken (2) 2-1/2 yr old bucks that weighed in at 172 and 161 lbs, respectively. No huge racks.....but we're eating on one of them......and a family I donate meat to is, I'm sure, enjoying the other. I guess if you were boss and I could tag my 4 and then shoot 4 with my wife's tags (or even 2 + 2, to be fair).....that would help the overall deer herd...and make hunting in my/your state more enjoyable. I'm sorry.....but even in my limited time afield hunting whitetails....I'd say that you running the DNR would be like the Inmates running the asylum.

Jeff

Quick Reply: You just became head of the DNR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.