Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You just became head of the DNR >

You just became head of the DNR

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You just became head of the DNR

Old 12-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You just became head of the DNR

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

No Sylvan....you wanted to institute a program that would allow you to kill TWICE the number of bucks the state of NY allows you now.

THAT thought STILL IS!

Jeff
I stand corrected, I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Sorry! So if I understand you correctly then you're o.k. with the transfer program for doe only but not for buck? And yes what I suggested would allow a person to kill twice the number of bucks they can now. I wouldn't be doing it but it would be legal just as it is in your state.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Maryland:
1) Allow Sunday hunting all year, state wide. Although this is a legislative issue and not something DNR can change, they can certainly help promote the idea.
2) Make mandatory an archery proficiency test (taken from another poster). There are far too many folks hunting that can't shoot worth a darn. Here on our Navy base, we have to qualify to hunt. In talking with the guys to do the qualifications, you'd be shocked at some of the shots folks take and think are good "kill shots" that are not even close.
3) There are more, but they have already been said.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan....

I apologize if you think I was being too harsh.
O.K. let's start over...

If they told me I couldn't shoot a buck for a coupel of years I'd like it. that's just me, though. Killing a buck......just to say I killed a buck means nothing to me.
But killing a trophy buck just to say you killed a trophy buck does mean something? I think the difference between you and those that agree with you and many other hunters is that you seem driven only by the prospect of taking a trophy sized buck and you'd be willing to give up the prospect of killing anything less for that opportunity. Again, that's fine with me but that's not a trade everybody is willing to or would even want to make even if it were gaurenteed. You say you don't understand it? Well I guess there is no need of any of us to understand what exactly drives another hunter but we all should at least respect it.

Take care!

(sorry to all for getting so off topic)
Old 12-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go back to 1 deer per year with a bow.1 deer per year with a gun.Theres just too many guys shooting 10-15 fawns every year,
No more corn piles,too many people are getting the impression that its like hunting.
No more drives on public land.Too many shootings,and it messes up everyone else.
Allow crossbow hunting during rifle seasion.
Export the wolves.
Offer bounty on coyotes.
Mandatory,Qualification with firearms,and bow.Too many wounded animals out there.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

CAUSE IT ISNT FAIR THAT SOME KID CAN SHOOT DEER WITHOUT THEM CUTTING IT OFF BEFORE IT GETS TO THEM.
NO,WAIT,THAT KID MIGHT SHOOT A BIG BUCK!! CANT HAVE THAT!!LOL.
ORIGINAL: _Dan

One question.

Why do some of you have a problem with the early youth seasons?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Sylvan:

My state don't allow tag transfers. Don't know where that came from....but sorry for the confusion. I like the way our state does some things....others I just throw up my hands. In my state....I LIKE that we (on the Western side) have 2 buck tags. On the Eastern side....they have 4. These numbers are a direct correlative to our poulations, though (of deer). I'd like for us to go to a 2 buck limit, statewide.I think that's coming.

And no...."I" am really not "OK" with ANY "transfer" program. I'm for the state doing its' homework and making bag limits reflect whats needed to keep the herd in check. YOUR proposal would allow this scenario: You, me and Rob/PA buy licenses and tags. Now....only YOU are really a hunter. You offer to purchase tags for your wife....my wife....and Rob's wife. Now....YOU can LEGALLY take TWELVE bucks. If the same 6 licenses/tags were sold to six different individuals......what's the chances of those six individuals tagging out on bucks? I can tell you right now.....if it were legal in my state....I could shoot 10bucks a year. That's not bragging, Sylvan....It's a product of the herd. In your scenario.....the people who wan tto kill more bucks....can do so WITHOUT LIMIT, basically.

I just disagree with the practice. I've got friends who have a lease in VA....and they have close to 30 tags (doe) that they get issued to them ...over and above their individual tags (QDMA tags). They STILL tag animals under each other's tags. To me....it's backhanded. Each state has to KNOW when it makes bag limits......that there is going to be a certain percentage of tags that go unfilled (based on past experiences). I've heard people give the excuse that the tag was valid....and that it couldn't hurt to fill it....no matter who's name it went under. I also think it'll never hurt to just follow the game laws.

Not preaching at you, Sylvan....just venting.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

YOU can LEGALLY take TWELVE bucks.
No, not with NY's system. You can have only up to 2 tags transferred to you so no matter what the scenario a hunter can take only 2 deer on tags that don't normally come with his license. Right now it's 2 extra doe only.My proposal would be 2 extra deer of the hunters choice.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

So in reality (just asking).....you'd have every hunter in the stae (theoretically) able to take twice the number of bucks (2 to 4)? I could see where the state would like the extra (tags) revenue.....but from a hunters' point of view.....I think this smells ruin.

Just my .02. I appreciate you straightening that out.

Jeff