Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You just became head of the DNR >

You just became head of the DNR

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You just became head of the DNR

Old 12-08-2006, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: You just became head of the DNR

Jeff & Sylvan ok

Jeff what Sylvan wantsis already in practice in most states and is a problem. I can tell you this I know a person who shot 5 bucks this year, and they were all tag by someone.[8D]

More a difference of Generations then a difference of hunting. Back in the 50's & 60's you would have 10 guys hunting for one person's tag. It was the norm to give "your" tag to the person who shot a deer. Sylvan wants to make this legal for bucks. Goes back to TDM(Traditional Deer Mangement) here in MI. My Grampa use to see 100 deer in Northen MI when he hunted 98 doe's and 2 bucks. Why there is such an empahsis on shooting "A" buck in MI.

My Grampa and I hunt for two different reasons, and yet we still go out and have a good time. He longs for the day when he used to see 100 deer, and I just want to see a better ratio of bucks to doe's.

Things are getting worst by my Grampa's standards and better by mine[8D] Will Northen MI ever see the deer numbers they had in the past? I say no, and I hope not. My grampa wants to dis-own me, LOL

Boy's I can tell you this, I am willing to bet my Grama killed more deer then you, according to the state of MI Jeff whether it is legal or not folks will do it.

Remember this I do not hold anything against my Grampa for the way he hunted. Remember he grew up in the depression, he has a different view on hunting. For him it was to feed his family, and this was his NO. 1 priorty!! Please no bashing, like I said it is a difference of generations!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 AM

Kansas:

1. SmackMH in the mouth (our current KDWP secretary) sp? If you guys want to see big money's corruption of natural resources come to a deer task force meeting in Kansas. The current head has stake in an outfitter for crying out loud.
2. Keep NR tags on the draw system. Why do we need to have them over the counter when we still have plenty left over every year. oh that's right, to help out the outfitters and bring more big money to Kansas.
3. Hire2 game wardens to patrol MY land.
4.Keep the youth season. Nothing better than seeing a kid shooting a monster. I don't care if it was one I have been watching and waiting for all year. They are our future.
5. Limit rifle tags/hunter to help control theslaughter.
6. Come down hard on poaching. In my area the bulk of this is done by NR.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Someone posted earlier about Virginia, and I agree.

1. Hire more wardens.
2. Allow Sunday Hunting!
3. Install a "Earn a buck" program.
4. Install a "Minimum Point Requirement" for bucks.
5. Get rid of this East of the Mountains, West of the Mountains crap. Have statewide seasons.
6. Grant anotherdoe tag for anyone who helps a youth take a deer.
7. Expand the Urban Archery Program to all cities and Counties.

Just my take on VA.

Mike
Old 12-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I understand you perfectly Sylvan.
I don't think you do. "I, for the life of me.....don't understand this." You didn't a few posts ago and you still don't. Funny, but yesterday you didn't even know what the tag transfer program in NY was. Now your an expert and have decided it's foolish. And you live and hunt where?

All this.....and you want to belittle ME for being a fledgling deer hunter.
I didn't belittle you at all. You are the one that did the attacking. I merely listed as one of my items as things to do in NYthe expansion ofthe tag transfer program to include bucks. You didn't even know what it was but after I explained it YOU immediately jumped in my face and basically said whata stupid idea it was. You still are. Go back through the posts and then with a striaght face say that it is me belittling you. I think you'll find it to be the other way around.

No. I guess I haven't taken a "trophy" whitetail (in many people's eyes). In my eyes I have.
I didn't ask you if you took a trophy. Please read more carefully. I asked you if you ever took a "nice" buck and even said that "nice" was subjective and different for everybody. That was the point. You obviously missed it.

Let me tell you.....I can shoot FOUR bucks in my state.
I can shoot 2 in my state yet you belittle me for wanting the same option as you have. (actually I never take more than 2 deer and like you wouldn't take 4 even if legalbut that's beside the point) I don't see anything wrong with it if people want to and the DNR determines the numbers will support it. My personaldesire would be to take 2 buck with a bow and forget taking one with the gun, something not legal now but would be if the tag transferprogram allowed buck tag transfers. But the point of the thread was torespond as the head of the DNR so I waslisting something that would benefit the most hunters and not just me personally.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

can shoot 2 in my state yet you belittle me for wanting the same option as you have. (actually I never take more than 2 deer and like you wouldn't take 4 even if legalbut that's beside the point) I don't see anything wrong with it if people want to and the DNR determines the numbers will support it. My personaldesire would be to take 2 buck with a bow and forget taking one with the gun, something not legal now but would be if the tag transferprogram allowed buck tag transfers.
Sylvan and the reason for wanting this is so the DNR would better "Know" how many deer were shot? Instead of folks just doing it and the DNR has no idea. Which is how it is in MI right now, so how do they know how many tags to issue for the next season.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Funny, but yesterday you didn't even know what the tag transfer program in NY was. Now your an expert and have decided it's foolish. And you live and hunt where?
Don't fool yourself. I know what a "tag transfer" program is. I know people here (who hunt a lease in VA)who do it....be it legal or not. I just wanted you to say what YOU were seeking to gain from it.

I didn't belittle you at all.
If you are going to be "head of the DNR" you need to get better at understanding other hunters. You don't have to agree with them, but at least have a clue!
I merely listed as one of my items as things to do in NYthe expansion ofthe tag transfer program to include bucks. You didn't even know what it was but after I explained it YOU immediately jumped in my face and basically said whata stupid idea it was. You still are.
It still is.

I can shoot 2 in my state yet you belittle me for wanting the same option as you have.
No. I'm calling you out for wanting to shoot TWICE the amount of bucksYOUR state's DNR has allotted hunters IN YOUR STATE. NC bag limits have nothing to do with YOUR STATE.....which (by virtue of the entire thread's premise) YOU are the DNR leader for!

You don;t find it ironic that you were supporting Atlas' "plight" re: no mature bucks in his woods.....yet you have no problems perpetuating the issue?

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Sylvan and the reason for wanting this is so the DNR would better "Know" how many deer were shot? Instead of folks just doing it and the DNR has no idea. Which is how it is in MI right now, so how do they know how many tags to issue for the next season.
Like I said before, I don't know all the reasons they chose to do this but I'm sure that's one of them. I know in years past they would try to sell doe permits (x per hunter) and would wind up not even being able to sell them all. So It seems you'd have some guys not interested in taking more deer yet legally they could and others sneaking a couple extra each season. Gofigure! Anyway as faras how many to issue,I don't know the precise details but I'm confident that statistically it can be worked out pretty much with anykind of rules.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Sylvan....

I apologize if you think I was being too harsh. I just simply....for the life of me (and I'm admittedly a fledgling DEER hunter) can't unerstand the obsession with killing bucks.....just to say that one killed BUCKS.

I'm just having a hard time with that......when you'll then hear the same people say that there aren't that many mature animals in their woods. Our state has issues with that, too......but I think we'll soon do something about it.

If they told me I couldn't shoot a buck for a coupel of years I'd like it. that's just me, though. Killing a buck......just to say I killed a buck means nothing to me.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]
quote:

I merely listed as one of my items as things to do in NYthe expansion ofthe tag transfer program to include bucks. You didn't even know what it was but after I explained it YOU immediately jumped in my face and basically said whata stupid idea it was. You still are.
[/blockquote]

It still is.
Well there you have it. If people don't agree with you then they're stupid. What arrogance! The New York State department of Conservation institutes a program that themajority ofhunters in the state have given kudos for, butsome internet nobody has determined they're all stupid. hmmmmm... I guess there's no point discussing this any further with you. Bye!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

No Sylvan....you wanted to institute a program that would allow you to kill TWICE the number of bucks the state of NY allows you now.

THAT thought STILL IS!

Jeff

Quick Reply: You just became head of the DNR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.